Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions on the Explorer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ghouldani, Nov 1, 2005.

1. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    I have heard mixed reviews on the tone, quality, weight, everything. For the tone problem everyone seems to have, could someone just replace the pickups and change the strings?

2. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
  3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Which Explorer? The Current Epiphones, 80's Gibsons, rare ESP's?

We need more detail to answer your questions.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    And if it's a Gibson Explorer, what tone problems?

5. hasadari

hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    I have an Alembic Exploiter, which is their version of the Explorer. It has excellent tone, is reasonably well balanced with no neck dive issues. I will say this though, it takes getting used to the absence of the upper horn against your body and the large point on top past your non-fret hand. I found that playing it either higher than usual or lower than usual makes this easier. It sure gets a lot of attention when in public.

6. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    As far as I am aware, epiphone is the only make that had "tone issues"

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What kind of "tone issues"

8. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    I believe in a previous post you mentioned it was too muddy. I have also heard that it sounds too transparent. There are also reports of there being a huge gap between the body and the strings.

9. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    The bassist from Honky plays one through a mesa 400+ with a sabddi and ampeg 8x10. It sounds gnarly!