1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions on the Fender ® Deluxe P-Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canary, Jul 7, 2004.

1. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    hi, just a few questions on the Fender ® Deluxe P-Bass Special.

1. Is it worth buying the Deluxe P-Bass or both the P-Bass and the J-Bass.

2. Can it play the two styles of sound as well as the two individual basses, for example: Is the Jazz sound as good as the sound of a proper Jazz bass and is the P sound as good as the sound of a proper P-Bass.

thanks in advance

2. It'll sound like a P bass with only the P pickups on, but the only J tone it will emulate is the back pickup only tone. Which might suit your style, but you're missing out on both pickups on full and J neck pickup only. Essentially, you get the P tone and 1/3 of the J tone. I think it might be worth buying, but I'd say a pure J MIM would do the trick and nail a wide variety of tones while you save up for a P.

3. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    so would you say its better to buy both basses?
    are the Deluxe P-Bass specials hard to come across? because i have only seen them on the net, although i suppose i havnt been looking out for them either until now

4. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    i can't stand the j bridge sound. i've got a pj and im thinking about cutting the wire to the j bridge pick up. buy a MIM P then save up for the jazz

5. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    thanks, you may have just saved me a lot of money. i think i will buy one and save for the other, i just don`t know which one to get 1st. i could even say its in the top 5 hardest decisions of my 13 year life