Questions on the Fender ® Deluxe P-Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canary, Jul 7, 2004.

1. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    hi, just a few questions on the Fender ® Deluxe P-Bass Special.

1. Is it worth buying the Deluxe P-Bass or both the P-Bass and the J-Bass.

2. Can it play the two styles of sound as well as the two individual basses, for example: Is the Jazz sound as good as the sound of a proper Jazz bass and is the P sound as good as the sound of a proper P-Bass.

thanks in advance
  2. It'll sound like a P bass with only the P pickups on, but the only J tone it will emulate is the back pickup only tone. Which might suit your style, but you're missing out on both pickups on full and J neck pickup only. Essentially, you get the P tone and 1/3 of the J tone. I think it might be worth buying, but I'd say a pure J MIM would do the trick and nail a wide variety of tones while you save up for a P.
  3. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    so would you say its better to buy both basses?
    are the Deluxe P-Bass specials hard to come across? because i have only seen them on the net, although i suppose i havnt been looking out for them either until now
  4. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    i can't stand the j bridge sound. i've got a pj and im thinking about cutting the wire to the j bridge pick up. buy a MIM P then save up for the jazz
  5. canary

Jun 1, 2004
    thanks, you may have just saved me a lot of money. i think i will buy one and save for the other, i just don`t know which one to get 1st. i could even say its in the top 5 hardest decisions of my 13 year life