Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions on two new Gibson basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Question #1. Has anybody seen, or played one of the new Gibson Continental V basses yet? http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/bass/ContinentalVBass.html
    It looks a little like a Cirrus, IMHO.

Question #2. When did Gibson start making a 5 string Thunderbird? This blew my mind. http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/bass/ThunderbirdStudio5.html

I assume the nut width of 1 1/5 inches is incorrect, otherwise that would be one of the most narrow-spaced necks ever. :eek:

The idea of a 5 string T-bird is appealing, I have to admit.

Anyone?

Mike ;)

2. Was it my deodorant? :(

Mike :D

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Use the search function, I think someone posted a thread about the new Gibson basses a few weeks ago.

Besides, I don't think it's your deodorant, Gibson basses simply don't seem to be very well-liked here (although there are a bunch of Thunderbird fans around.)

Care for a little experiment? Change the "Gibson" in your thread title to "Sadowsky" and watch the number of views and replies skyrocket. :D

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks for the links, Mikey! Interesting thing, that Bird Fiver. Might have to have me one....hmmmm. ;)

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The Continental would be really great if it were a single cutaway.

Why is the bass made out of snakewood? What is snakewood anyway?

The T5 is nice. I hope they make some in natural.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I don't know what they're calling snakewood. Definitely doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with by that name. Gilmer Wood shows snakewood as being liek the second fingerboard from the right in this picture:
    [​IMG]

That type of snakewood grows in trees too small to make a full top out of. From what Gilmer told me, the trees aren't actually much bigger than that board shown.

7. Yeah, Boogie, I was shocked myself when I first saw it; I was at the Musiciansfriend site last week, and noticed a T-bird in the 5 string section. Thinking it was a mistake, I went to the Gibson site, and there it was.

Now, concerning the Continental, I hate to say this, but I think Gibson is dooming this one to fail already. I think the price is too high ($2,099.00 at MF) for a bass that will have to compete with the Peavey Cirrus and the EB Bongo, both priced about $500 lower, and Sadowsky Metros in the $2K range.

I hope I'm wrong; I am among those who would love to see a Gibson design succeed. :bassist:

Aquateen, thanks for the link. ;)

Mike

8. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Ive been looking for a good fiver, I might have to pick up that T-Bird.

9. The Continental V hasnt filled me with froath at the mouth.. itlooks like the design is a slightly altered Peavey Cirrus.. with some different woods.. but the Cirrus is well renounded on talkbass due to its punchy and versitle tone and its lovely neck.

The Thunderbird V is a mouth watering prospect... I dont care what other think for for all the T-birds problems withneck dive and the rest.. a T-Bird + Ampeg 8x10 is one of the crunchiest tones in the bass world.. and it always makes me smile when i play one.. it has the x-factor..

Pitty it isnt avaliable in White with Black Binding :)

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Oh man! A 5 string T-Bird! Yeah! I know what my next bass purchase will be!

-Bazz-

11. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I own three Gibsons - An '87 Thunderbird 4 string, a '77 Gibson RD Artist, and a '74-'75 Ripper.

If you're going to buy a Thunderbird, plan on replacing the pickups. The TB Plus ceramics just plain suck, IMHO. I've got some Barts I'm getting ready to drop in mine.

The RD is seriously underrated. It has these amazing electronics by Bob Moog (of synthesizer fame), and it just rumbles, growls, you name it. You can learn more about it at www.gibsonbass.com.

The Ripper? Very unique in the sense that it has pickups wired in paralell, series, out of phase, etc., with a four-way rotary switch. It also doesn't have a bass tone control, but it does have a mid control. Nice neck, comfortable body, great for slapping.

The Continental V? Well, at least Gibson isn't using those lousy Thunderbird pickups on it.

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  13. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Wow, that Gibby Thunderbird is some cheaper than the Epiphone Elitist lol.