Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions on ultra jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WildBill, Jan 2, 2005.

1. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Im going to my local music shop tomorrow to pick up ( :p )
    a set of these. I was wondering how to set them up and if I can just get them done at the shop. Also I'd like to know how they sound from people that have played or own a bass with them installed.
    thanks

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    They're easy to install, any decent tech should be able to do it.
    There's too many variables to say how a set of pickups are going to sound in your bass. I've used the UJ's ina couple of basses.
    In general, I'd describe them as having a slightly scooped sound, the bass and treble are boosted. In some basses I tried them in, I needed to boost more mids on the preamp to get it cutting through better. YMMV
    Also, if you do a search you'll find lots of other discussions on these pickups.

3. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    i had them in a mim jazz. better than stock but nothing amazing. and installing them is easy. if i can do it, anyone can :meh: :D

4. Go to the Seymour Duncan website for wiring diagrams.

They are considered quite high output pickups in general - depending on the year of the MIM they might be double the ouput (or less...).

More nuanced than most stock MIM, fairly scooped as described above, big big bottom, clear top.

5. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Thanks for the comments, Im putting them in a 2001 MIM Fender.

6. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

you might not wanna use stainless steel strings with them..or if you do don't use a pick. it gets really hissy treble real fast w/ the pick/stainless steel strings combo.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I put a set into my 2000 MIM jazz bass. Big improvement over the stock p'ups IMHO.

Email Dimarzio, and get the wiring diagram that will show you how to wire each one to a push/pull volume pot. This allows a series/parallel option on each pickup. Throw in a good tone pot and kack, and you'll find you can get a variety of tones out of that bass.

Before you buy at the local store, check out www.bestbassgear.com Since I was buying the pickups from Brian, he sold me the push/pull volume pots really cheap, and threw in the jack, and tone pot. He's in NH, so it wouldn't take you long to get your parts. Dimarzio usually sends the wiring diagram very quickly(got mine in less than 5 minutes)

Hope that helps. Let us know how everything turns out. :hyper: