Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions on Warwicks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jplb70, Feb 19, 2002.

1. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    I'm seriously thinkin about buying one. So i'd figured I'd ask you guys. I like the Thumbs played one at a store. Been lookin on ebay saw a couple of Streamers and a Fortress that I liked the looks of. I prefer neck thru but not dead set against bolt on necks that play nice. So what I'm askin is how do these models compare to the Thumbs sound and playability wise. I play in a LOUD Metal band and I'm a fourbanger.
    Thanx in advance

2. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    AWWW Cmon guys help me out any opinions would be appreciated :)

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ok here's the run down

if you like the neck thrus you have 3 body options - the thumb, the streamer, and the dolphin. the thumb, dolphin, and SSII all have pretty similar sound characteristics, the SSI is a little different seeing as how it's mostly maple.

the more expensive bolt ons sound and play very closely to their NT counterparts.

all warwicks will pretty much play the same. the necks all have the same profile and feel (especially if we're talking 4 strings here) across the model range. the one difference is neck wood - newer ones are ovangkol, older ones are wenge. many warwick players - myself included - really prefer the wenge neck, but you might not.

i'd say - any warwick with the MEC golds will give you the sound you're looking for (corvette proline and up i believe)

www.warwickbass.com

that help?

jason

4. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    A very big help thank you sir!

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Jason nailed it. I'm pretty amazed at how the "Warwick sound" comes through (with slight variations) regardless of construction... or even electronics. I also preferred the wenge neck models, but my maple neck-thru SSI 5 (with Duncan Basslines pickups) still seems to have the chunky midrange that Warwicks are noted for. Chunky neck profile, too, but I like that.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I too am more than likely about to purchase a Warwick. I am probably going to order a Thumb BO 6 string. Does the switch to Soapbars really make a difference in the sound of the Thumb? I am after that Warwick sound with the MECs, but today I played a Corvette FNA. That Warwick growl was just pouring out of that bass! When I played it with the Thumb BO, there was no comparison. That Thumb had no punch. Should I expect a 6-string to sound like that 4?
    Also...is it still possible to get the bolt-on with a Wenge neck? I played an Ovankal, and hated it! No punch, no growl.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I believe the Fortresses all have wenge necks. Fortresses have been discontinued and I think they did that right before they they switched over the neck woods. I love the wenge neck - I'm real glad I got mine before the change.

Be forwarned about the Fortress - I played one that weighed a ton. I too liked the looks and started thinking about picking one up, but when I did, I put it right back down. My Corvette is made of Bubinga and the weight gets to me after a while. The Fortress was even heavier that that.

Another note - the Masterman pickup configuration leaves a lot to be desired (IMO). I had a Streamer Masterman and the pickup was real disappointing. You've got lots of controls, but one basic sound - didn't matter too much how you split them up or EQed them. In the house it sounds versatile, with a band - it might as well just have had a volume and tone control. Not much doing. I'd go for the P-J set up, or the J/J (I believe that's how they come).

Good luck.

8. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Not sure, but I don't think you can get wenge anymore b/c the war in the congo.

9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Joe, you hit it on the head... The Fortress MM is a bass with 1 sound. I have one and it bugs me... sometimes. That one sound is a pretty damn good sound. If I need more, well, I have 2 modulus basses for other situations.

I don't think any Warwick would be bad for playing 4 string metal. The electronics are sweet, they play like a dream, and you can throw any size string you want, detune to c and go hog wild without f'ing up the neck.

Adam

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    While were on warwicks..... does anyone know where i can get some prices on the net?

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I just got one from BassCentral.com

12. i just got an 86 nt thumb all stock w/emg's like new!!!, i believe its the first year of the thumb.........wow i love it! it growls like the king of the jungle! .......i had to get this bass cause i had a thumb bo 37th anniv ed made for gc. it had an ebony fretted board and it was the nuts........when i got rid of it the remorse set in deeply, even my old lady missed the warwicks tone! ive got quite a few fenders that i love and play,......but i must admit its really refreshing to play a warwick.
    .........i must admit also alot of the stores dont take the time to set them up properly and ive played basses (warwicks included) off the wall. i even tried another identical gc 37th edition and it was no where as good as my original 37th sound wise. i dont know what they put stock on them for strings but i dont like em, i suspect they are red label warwick strings,........im sure a little string change and tweek and it would be fine,.....so it can be hard to judge. make the salesman put a new set of strings on and set it up for you to appreciate ..........i like light gage ernie ball super slinkys on a thumb and low action........,........xcept they are always out of em. good luck

13. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    I bought a Thumb n/t 4-string a little more than a month ago, and I'm completely satisfied with it. Very solid neck, great playability and amazing sound!

I was warned for two things:
    - the balance: they have neck dive (mostly the 5ers and 6ers). Mine didn't really dive, but it hangs more horizontally than most basses. I just wear it higher and got used to it already. The streamer and Dolphin should have more "normal" balance if you are worried about this.
    -the weight: I got a little problem with this in the beginning, but my shoulder got used to it already (it was more a case of playing standing up for a complete weekend of rehearsal after a long time of only playing standing up for a short time...). And if you play metal, you shouldn't act like a sissy and carry that thing!

The neck has a quite round profile but it doesn't really feel that thick to me. It plays great and is very fast.
    Although I ordered mine new, I am very sure it has a wenge/bubinga neck, not a wenge/ovangkol. The serial number contains 99, so I guess it's a '99 that was lying at the suppliers (in Holland) for more than two years... Don't know if it's possible to find something like that again, or to specifically ask for it?
    Never played a ovangkol neck, but I surely don't mind having a wenge one...

Good luck with your GAS! I don't think you will be disappointed when choosing one of the more expensive Warwicks!

14. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    Man I'm realy GASin now;) Just waitin on that taxman now. Thanx for the insight people.

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Look at the website.. they have a price chart on there... It'll give you an idea of where to start haggling at..

16. minkis

minkis

Sep 8, 2000
    are we talking wenge as the neck wood or fingerboard wood? i have a thumb that says 00 on the headstock and i'm pretty sure it has an ovangkol neck with a wenge fingerboard. how would i know if this is true? how recently did they stop using wenge?

17. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If you have a 2000 thumb, and it's a bolt on, it definitely should have an Ovankol neck, not Wenge. The Ovankol is alot lighter in color, and not as porous as the Wenge. When I place it on order, I'm gonna call Dana B. and ask if I can get a Thumb 6 BO with a Wenge neck. So much more punch with those. I'll cross my fingers!! It should be in about a month! Yeah!!:D :D :D

18. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Why does everybody hate ovangkol?
    I have a 01 Thumb BO 5 string, neck and body of ovangkol.
    I love it.

19. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I don't hate Ovankol! I think it is a beautiful wood with excellent tone! (IMO) I just want a Wenge neck on my Thumb BO.

20. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Wenge neck is the best!. I was lucky to have Thumb bolt on 4 with Wenge neck and Wenge board, with the size and shape of Jazz bass, and it is fast and feel like Jazz neck. The tone is incredible, also very punchy. Overall I like it better than my Dolphin Pro which has D shape neck or even punchier than my Thumb NT . I paid only approx US 500 direct from Warwick;)

Once in a while Warwick still have this left over Wenge neck if you can spot it,just take it , because no other neck can beat it.