Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions or comments on Fodera Emp. 5 Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theaterbass29, Apr 15, 2004.

1. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Hey Everyone,
    I have just picked up my dream bass. Normally, this story is so long, I wouldnt post it, but since we are all mostly bassists, I think you guys will get a kick out of it.
    About a year and a couple of months ago, I was in Florida shopping at Bass Central. It was the first time I had ever been to an all bass superstore. I took a couple of basses prepared to maybe work out a cool trade and come home with a new piece. There were so many brands and styles to choose from, I didnt know what was best. I started the wall as you come in the door checking out Lakland, Zon, Smith, then over to Pedulla, Warwick, Spector, until finally I come to the Foderas on the wall. Now, realizing I couldnt afford one, I never really gave them any thought. As I was browsing, Grasshopper (Scott the salesman) got a phone call. It was a guy in Colorado who was going to buy this awesome 5 string Fodera with a buckeye top hanging in front of me. Grasshopper asks me to "pluck a few notes" so the guy on the phone could hear the bass he was buying. I thought, sure, okay. As they get the bass down and I plug into a simple 2x10 Eden combo, I play one note on the B string and.....WHOA! I have owned everything from Modulus, Tobias, Warwick, Warrior, Lakland, etc, and I had never heard anything like this. Grasshopper told me it was the Aero pickups that were the secret to this Emp. in particular. In short, the guy on the phone picks up the bass, and I leave with a decent Warwick 6 string Thumb.
    One year later, Im at Bass Central again and I decide Im going to buy a Fodera this year. I had saved up and got a loan against my taxes, so I was going to come away with one this time. Well, their stock was low. They only had a couple of bolt on 4s and one 5 which didnt appeal to me that much. I did however fall in love with the 4 string BO Monarch, so I bought it. A few months later, I find out that a session guy in Vegas was going to sell his Emp.5 Buckeye Top, so I sold my Sadowsky and Elrick, and bought it. Nice bass, but I was very dissappointed. It had an Ebony fingerboard, which sounded P bassey, not what I wanted, and the pickups were Duncan Dual coils. It just didnt have it, so I was upset with myself for losing my other basses to get it. About 2 weeks later, I see an ad for....you guessed it, another Emp. 5 Buckeye from a guy in " Colorado ". It was that same bass that I had tried over a year ago. I thought to myself, great, now Im stuck with this bass, and he has the one I have wanted all along. Well it turns out, he is a collector, and didnt need the money, he just wanted to sell it because he wasnt playing it much. I offered him to trade the Emp. I had just bought, plus a small cash offer to help convince him to trade and...we traded. Long story, but its kinda like a Harlequin Novel...NO?
    Anyways, just wanted to share my story and ask a couple of questions to those who have or have had a bass like this before with the Aeros.
    First, has anyone had any trouble with the B string on these basses? I found that the Aeros are so magnetic, they tend to pull hard on the B string because it has so much string mass, therefore causing unecessary buzzing. I fixed the problem by lowering the neck pickup down about as far as it would go on the B side.
    Second, anyone know how to get that Garrison sound with the Aeros and Pope pre, any EQ suggestions?
    Finally, what is your fav. choice of fingerboard and body wood on a Fodera?

Thanks for reading my post and hope to hear from all of you.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Glad you got the bass you wanted.

3. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    "I knew we would be together from the first second I saw her"

:D :D :D :D