Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions questions questions...i have lots of questions (GK gear)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    so i got my GK 800RB and my 1x15 RBH. it sounds great.

i don't understand ohms, power, and wattage?????

is my cabinet too much for my head? i read that the RBHs need a lot of head :smug: . i'm thinking about adding a 2x10RBH. will this be too much cab. should i add a RBX instead???? :help:

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Of all the G-K heads I've owned, I've never owned an 800RB. But PM Dan Elliot, he works for G-K and he's on this forum, he'll help you out.

Sounds to me like you have a killer setup!

3. The 115RBH is a 400 watt cabinet. It's an 8 ohm cabinet so when you hook it up to the low side, you get 200 watts out of the head. You could hook the 210RBH either to the low side and get 300 watts total (because two 8 ohm cabinets equals a 4 ohm load and the 800rb low side does 300 watts at 8 ohms), or hook it to the high side and get 200 plus 100 watts total (two seperate 8 ohm loads). In that case, both cabinets would have their own volume control (two seperate amps in one head). You could either biamp it or run them both in full range. Biamping would send the high frequencies to the 210 cab and the low frequencies to the 115 cab.

That should be enough to confuse you for now.

4. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    dude. help me out here :)

so my question are the RBHS too much for the 800RB?

ok i like booty so i want my 1x15 to be the loudest. should i be running the 1x15 from the 300 watt outlet or the 100watt outlet from the back of the head ( i assume the 300 but i don't understand ohms.)

is two RBH cabs too much for the 800RB head?

5. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    800RB's are pretty sturdy amps, I wouldn't worry about adding "too much" as long as you don't go under 4ohm. With (2) 8ohm cabs, you'd be right there. Run them full range (low) and you're set!

6. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    what is an ohm?

the less ohms the more umph?

on the back of my head it has a 300 watt 8 ohm input and a 100 watt 4 ohm input i think....what is the deal with these?

7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Ohms are a unit of measurement for electrical resistance and/or impedance. The higher the resistance rating of a speaker cabinet, or the more it resists the incoming current, the lower the level of power the amp will deliver to the load, in this case the speaker. A good analogy that might make it easier to understand electrical current flow is to compare it with the flow of water. In a side-by-side comparison, a pipe that is ten inches in diameter would allow more water to flow through than one that is five inches in diameter. The pipe that is five inches in diameter would be the eight ohm cabinet, and the ten inch pipe is the four ohm cabinet. Hope this helps.

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    see this guy understands how to talk to a amp-stupid person. thanks. :)

ok so i know what an ohm does.....but what is the point of it?

so on my head i have a 300 watt 8 ohm input and a 100 watt 4 ohm input. which will be louder?

so if i add 2x10s and i want my 1x15 to be heard more....which one do i plug it into?

i will expermiment after work.........but answeres now will help

:help:

9. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have an 800RB question now: Can the 100 watt amp & the 300 watt amp be bridged together? If so, what would the total watts be at 8 & 4 ohms? Hopefully it can be bridged, that way Brawler will have plenty of power and he won't have to buy(and tote) another cab.

Thanks, A.P.

11. DO NOT TRY TO BRIDGE THE 300W AND 100W SIDE TOGETHER. YOU WILL FRY THE AMP.

You have a 300W 4 ohm side and a 100W 8 ohm side. The 300W side will do 200W at 8 ohms or 300W at 4 ohms. The 100W side only does 8 ohms. If you don't plan on using the biamp feature, then plug both cabs into the 300W side. Two 8 ohm cabs equals a 4 ohm load. If you want seperate volume controls for each cab and/or you want to biamp, then plug the 115 into the 300W side and the 210 into the 100W side.