Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions, questions, questions!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sir Krimskull, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Sir Krimskull

Sir Krimskull

Jan 16, 2006
    Germany
    Hi,
    First of all excuse my bad English, I'm German.
    I got several questions and would thank you for answering them. :D
    1. I'm interested in a 6-String bass but don't have a clou what's good or bad. I just want a flexible, clear bass sound. I saw a lot of Modulus round here and just heard good things about them. The only bad thing is that in Germany there are no Modulus dealers. :/
    Should I simply buy one without trying?
    2. I need a new amp for my band. I thought about an SWR top but have no idea of what boxes. Maybe Mesa Boogies? I don't know. :(
    3. The bass I own at the moment "klacks" sometimes when I'm playing on the E-string after I resetted the neck ... it's just the E-string. It sounds a bit like Steve Harris. What could that be?

Thx for reading and answering. :D

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Whats your budget for the bass 5000€ or so?

3. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    as far as amps are concerned, what kinds of sounds are you looking for/type of music you play. for the price, i don't think SWR working pro stuff can be beat.

for cabinets ('boxes'), i'm not sure what they offer over there. accuugroove are great, but expensive. avatar is great and cheap, but the shipping may be high. and theres always ampeg.

however, if you're looking higher end, theres a whole other range of equipment.

4. Sir Krimskull

Sir Krimskull

Jan 16, 2006
    Germany
    Something like this. Maybe less.

@adept_inept: I'm actually playing rock/hard-rock. But I want a clear sound ... I played an SWR once and was blown away by this sound. :D
    Ampeg isn't that clear but I never played one ...

Thanks for the fast answers. :D

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Well yeah the Q6 is a good bass but if you like woody tone and clarity you might want to check out KenSmith basses i belive that www.station-music.de stocks them in germany.

the do stock them there is this 6 stringer for 3600€ [​IMG]

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Lots of great gear to choose from. You mentioned some wonderful equipment.
    Heres the thing....nobody can pick it for you. Everybody has an opinion however yours is the only on that counts when it comes to your gear.
    You must try losts of basses and find one that fits you style and hands. I mean lots of basses. Go to a store that has 20 or 30 to play. Go to another store that has 20 or 30 to play. Then narrow it down. There should be 1 or 2 clear winners. Same thing with amp but choose the bass first.

7. fell

fell

Jul 31, 2005
    somerset
  8. Sir Krimskull

Sir Krimskull

Jan 16, 2006
    Germany
    Yes you're right of course, but here in Germany are for example no Modulus dealers. That makes it difficult to try all these basses.

9. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I can tell you this- Modulus's play very nice. You won't be dissappointed in a Q6. The neck's a very slim and fit my hands very nice. I also like the tone alot- it's not woody at all, which I dig. But when you're buying a "high end" bass it's really hard to be dissappointed, they all play very nice. I'd also look at Dingwall, Ken smith, Fodera, Conklin, and of course Modulus.

For your amp- you need to decide this. I like GK, some people don't. You also might wana decide what you want- tube or solid state. If your budget is unlimited- I'd say go for ThunderFunk head with a Schroder cab.

Lastly, if you decide on a modulus, it would probably be fairly easy to let it go again, since as you said people can't really get them, so some will be interested, and like it. Making it sorta easy to sell (Supply and demmand)- I may be wrong, the most economy I've taken is in my Mod western class and it was 1 week unit.

10. Sir Krimskull

Sir Krimskull

Jan 16, 2006
    Germany
    Thanks everybody. Helped me alot. :D