Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions, questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Oh well. I'm looking for an amp (as some of you already noticed from my tons of questions) and I've got it down to Eden WT550, TFB-550 or maybe MarkBass. Thing is I found an Eden WT800 used for 800 euro (2000 new), whereas the WT550 is 1400 new. It's beaten on the edges but works fine. It's far more than what I need, but I'm thinking that if I can get sth better and save money at the same time then why not? Problem is that I intend to buy a Schroeder 21012 (1200W). The WT800 is 1100W bridged at 4 ohm (that means that with one 4ohm cab it will be 1100W, right?). I will play this thing most of the times at home (we don't gig much). Will I be able to keep this thing down to a low, home practice volume? I have asked and I was told that Schroeders sound fine at low volumes and I think that with the 500W head I'll be able to keep it down, but I'm scared that with a 1100W head I'll turn the volume knob to 0.5/10 and the walls will be shaking. Will I still be able to keep this thing at as low volume as I want? What will the difference be in that between a 500W and a 1100W head? Would buying a smaller cab (like a mini 12, 500W) for home practice be a better solution?
    Any feedback on WT550 vs WT800 (besides size and weight) would be much appreciated as well.

2. Hello again. If the WT800 you are looking at is not the newer (B) series, you cannot safely run it into a 4ohm load bridged. If it is a (B) you are good to go.. they sound great soft and loud! If not, you are back to the 550!

Ps The difference between a 500 watt and 1000 watt head is nothing if you don't turn them up... so no problem there.

3. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Yes, I found this thing out reading reviews, I just asked the owner and I'm waiting for an answer. Will I be able to play it as low as I want? It's my main concern, cause you see if 10 is 1100W, then 1 is 110W which is A LOT to play in a house at midnight with sleeping neighbours - add a loud cab like Schroeder...
    Anyway, would you prefer WT800 over WT550? I don't know if it's exactly the same amp (only louder) or has other differences (because I think that the WT800 is older). I don't think I'll ever crack it so I don't really need the extra wattage. It's just that I'll have more headroom and it's cheaper.

4. Regarding volume... all that is needed is to turn it down to get softer! An amp with more wattage will only put out more sound when you push the amp enough to take advantage of that higher wattage. Also, that's why these amps have a pre gain control and a 'master volume' control. You can set the sound of the amp and the input gain so that the tone is where you want it, and then control the volume for with the 'post master'. So, there should be no problem with playing anything soft.

The bigger question is do you really need all the power and the large cab... if you can afford it... I guess why not. However, a 1210 and a smaller head like the Eden405 would probably give you more volume than you need in most situations.

However, to your question... turning down should not be a problem.

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm checking out these exact same amps, so I'm also interested in people's opinions...

Its most likely not the WT800B if its used and showing some wear...they just started making the WT800B's less than a year ago.

6. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Well, the 1210 will cost me about 900 euro with shipping and all and the 21012 1200 euro. If I'm about to give 2000 euro in a head and cab I could as well give 2300, not such a big difference. I'm a bit into DIY gigs so I would like to have a bigger cab in case it's needed for gigs w/ no PA support. I'm sure that the 1210 will be loud as hell but it's kinda small. I mean there must be a difference because of size - I saw you comparing the UL410 to the UL310 and saying sth like that the 310 doesn't move enough air or it doesn't shake you like the 410.

7. +1 A bigger cab will in general move more air...