questions, questions...

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Stick O'Dbwee, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Stick O'Dbwee

Stick O'Dbwee

Oct 21, 2002
    well, my sister says I should post this so here goes...

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 2:59 PM
    Subject: RE: What is Watt doing now? He's typing!

yes. that is true. But I don't understand chord patterns so his answer probably wouldn't help me. I'd probably begin by saying I've been play for a couple years now but am self taught and don't know anything about chords or what notes I'm playing. But I love the sound. I have many songs but don't know how I'd write it down for others to understand.

I'd probably ask him what he thinks of my non-educated approach to playing bass. And then I'd probably ask him somthing like, do you have a prefered method of plucking the strings.... I know he doesn't like playing with pick but what I'm trying to determine is if there is a finger picking/plucking method he prefers. I have a few....
    1- thumb resting on pickup or above string and pluck with index and middle finger
    2- my favorite, picking with thumb, index and middle finger alternating fast between each. same way I play guitar.

from watching watt play at shows it looks like he just goes completely crazy with his hand with no particular pattern.... and then magical beautiful notes appear. Don't know how he does it but it's cool.

I wonder how his style differs from Kira (never seen her play).

u can use this. I'm too shy.

Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 2:46 PM
    To: TATE BEN R
    Subject: RE: What is Watt doing now? He's typing!

I'll try and think of some good ones for sure!

Like - what are some good chord patterns or something simple like that. It's okay to ask watt silly questions like that because he totally understands learning from scratch!

Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 2:44 PM
    Subject: What is Watt doing now? He's typing!

Mike is currently on talkbass forum. He is there everyone day it seems. Got any good bass questions? I don't... i just do my own thing.
  2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

again, let me say that I think using a pick on a bass is ok! whatever it takes and the more techniques you can develop, the better I think. the goal is to make the machine come alive and laugh, cry, breathe - you get the picture. everyone should have their own take on it. that's how we can keep innovations coming and make each other's playing more personal and distinct. I've done that alternating thumb-fingers thing, especially in my two-bass-only band, dos.

kira plucks w/her index and middle fingers mainly.

as for chords and stuff like that, when you're starting out on bass I think it's more important to develop good bass lines - the harmony stuff can come later. what has to be learned first is good groove making.

hope this helps.

check this book/tape out:

on bass, watt