Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions re: GK 1001RB 210 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deaj, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Hello all,

I just purchased a GK 1001RB 210 combo from <gulp> Guitar Center. This is not the mark II version. I demo'd these amps quite a bit last year and it is definitely what I'm looking for. It is a new stock piece that a GC rep here in Seattle located for me at a GC in Nashville, TN. The rep in Nashville indicated that this one is in 'new-in-box' condition and has not been subjected to floor demo abuse. The price was $599 - too good to pass up. Although I was told that this amp is late mark I production (and thus, according to some, less likely to be prone to the failures associated with this amp) I have no way of knowing for sure until it arrives and I start using it.

My big question is: Is there any way to identify the conditions that cause these failures before they occur and, if so, where/how do I get the necessary information to do so. I'm an electronics hobbyist and I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron. I'd rather correct any potential problems before they interrupt a gig or rehearsal.

Is there a way to identify whether or not the amp will be potentially prone to failure by S/N (production date)?

Should I even be sweating this issue. I understand that negative experiences are more quickly posted than positive and that the perception of the percentage of failed amps as compared to those with no issues is skewed. Still, whatever the failure rate, I'd like to be ahead of the problem and not find myself stuck should it occur.

Finally - for those who are playing this amp - what do you think so far? After the honeymoon is it still as good as it was at purchase time? Better? Worse?

I've been playing 6 string guitar for close to thirty years. I just spent the last year building my 'desert island' guitar rig and it's just getting better with time. I started playing bass 8 years ago and I really love it! I'm now focusing some much needed attiontion to my bass gear. I have a Roscoe LG3000 and I really love the way this bass sounds through the 1001RB. I'm interested in how well this amp has done for others.

Thanks!

2. when you get it, pm me the serial number and I can research it for you.

3. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Thanks Daniel! what is pm? Thanks

4. Private Message.

click on his name, and it will show a list, and on one of them, it will say "send daniel a private message"

For a private massage...... :ninja:

5. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Great - thanks Bryan!