Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions regarding black korina inside

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Eyescream, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Hi guys. I did a bit of a search, but couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for, and I'm hoping someone here could maybe give me a little bit of advice.

Here's the background:

I've got an MIM Jazz with some structural damage to the neck joint and a stripped truss rod, and to my mind it's not really worth trying to fix. What I want to do is strip everything off it, the nice pickups I've got, the rest of the electronics and pots and hardware and whatnot, and put it all on some Warmoth parts I'm looking at buying.

First question: After looking around and doing some reading, I've decided I want a black korina body (no laminate top), with a wenge neck and an ebony fingerboard (as it'll be an unlined fretless, if this comes to fruition). From what I've been told, this should give me an exceptionally warm sound with tons of sustain, which my Quarter Pounders will add a touch of a growl to (passive electronics). Are my assumtions and leaps of faith pointing me in the right direction here?

Second question: While I love the pattern and figuring on the examples of black korina that I've seen, I think I might like to put a black stain on it so that there will be a greater contrast between the light and dark sections of the wood. At the same time, though, I'd like to not have a glossy finish on the bass. Is there anyway to stain it or oil it that would achieve that look and would keep me from having to use a polyurethane finish or sealer or whatever?

I apologize if these are stupid questions, and I sincerely thank you all for your time.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh, I forgot:

If any of you think this wood combination would suck for tonal quality, I'd really appreciate hearing some other suggestions (such as maybe I should just go with rosewood for the fingerboard). :)

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I dig the wood combo. I'm using a black limba body, walnut neck, and stabilized black limba fingberboard on a project that i am doing [will have an active Ray5 circuit in it]. I'm sure one of the guys that know a lot more than i will chime in soon enough. That's all

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks. If I'm right (and I hope I am), it'll sound as good as it looks in my mind's eye.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Dying limba black will not bring out any additional contrast in this wood. Probably the reverse.

Best bet is to just give it a nice satin oil finish if you don't want any gloss. You can knock down the shine of oil with some steel wool once it's done taking the oil.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Okay, I can handle that. So I should use a tung oil or is there a better suggestion?

7. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    For what it's worth, I have a hollowed Warmoth strat Black Korina body that I used tru-oil on. I love the way it turned out. It was really fun watching the korina come to life while oiling it. I think any satin oil would be great too.....danish oil?? I know Watco comes in some diff. colors.....maybe try some of that on a test piece if possible. The body I have really came to life (i.e. got a LOT darker) with just some tru-oil, perhaps there it won't be necessary to stain it black or any other color.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Boy does THIS thread sound familiar...

My Warmoth/USAGC project bass is a Black Korina Body/ Wenge Neck/ Ebony FB. I'm going w/ a diff pup & electronics, however.

I obsessed for a month on how I should finish it, before I finally decided to just have Warmoth shoot it w/ Trans Royal Blue. BTW, Thx for checking on my grain pattern Brian! I'm really excited to see it!

The black dye, then sand it back, & nitro it clear,, is an solution I seriously considered. Yes, it can be done, & yes it does look pretty cool... Here's a link to a guys site who's done this, & he's got some great photos of the building process as well..

http://www.mykaguitars.com/

Go to his Gallery & check out the back of the blue guitar. It's black korina back, dye black & then had a good amount of the dye sanded off... IMHO, it looks amazing. I emailed him, w/ questions regarding his process & he was very helpful.

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    JSPGuitars: Do you think it might be possible for me to see a picture of the guitar you're talking about?

McHack: That's actually what I was initially looking at doing, and it looks great. Heh. It's a good thing I don't have the money yet, cause I'm stuck and don't know what to do. :) BTW, since we apparently have the same combination, would you mind telling me what you think about how the wood sounds (allowing, of course, for differences in pickups and electronics)?

Thanks, guys.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, but, I don't have parts, yet... The body's just beginning paint, The neck is just starting its initial work, The electronics combo I'm going w/ requires a special order,,, I'm still waiting on things to show up, basically...

However, I DID consult Brian at BestBassGear AND Tom w/ Bartolini, to help profile the wood combination,, w/ a PJ pup combo... SO, I have pretty high expectations...

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    In case anyones interested, I should receive my body tomorrow. The neck is still 2-3 weeks away... Has anyone else had long delivery times on necks from USACG?

(long = 2 months or more)

12. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Just in case you're interested, here is a pic of before oiling and after oiling a black limba body of a bass I'm buildling. I used the Polymerized Tung Oil sealer then the Polymerized Tung Oil from Lee Valley.

Before oiling:

[​IMG]

After oiling (only two coats at this point, so not as glossy as it is now that I've got about 8 coats on it!...)

[​IMG]

You can see that the oil really does darken it up quite a bit.

:^)~

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    hehe, yea... first off, that thing looks great. The top you grabbed is awesome... Pretty enough that I showed it to my wife, & even SHE thought it looked awesome.

I neglected to state, that I just paid Warmoth to go ahead & put a Translucent Blue finish over the Korina. In evaluating thier pricing, I really don't think you can beat it... $165 for a translucent poly finish is a good deal.

The long delay in neck completion from USA, has me thinking maybe i should just get a maple/maple neck for THIS korina body,,, & then order a second one,, WITH a Figured Walnut top on it & sell one of 'em...