Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions to ask before buying bass online?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Oct 26, 2005.

1. So, that's the question! I think I would avoid Ebay sales where the guy knows nothing about what he is selling, etc. Like, "I only bought this to learn Bass -- I really know nothing about the guitar..." I see these every now and then. My main concern is abuse, and how to spot that, severe issues, not whether it needs new strings, etc. Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Feedback is your friend.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Read peoples feedback. ASK BEFORE YOU BID!! If you do not get the response you are looking for ask the question again. Be very specific on your questions. Again, if you do not like the answers, you can figure you will probably not like the product.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Feedback is important but equally important are photos. Photos of the body, neck, headstock and really read the description carefully. You should also look at other non Epray sites like this one, bassgear and harmonycentral ( although the latter two seem to be infested with scammers). I would much rather deal with a TB er than an unknown on Ebay.
    Just my two cents......

5. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    I wouldnt buy a bass on ebay unless there is loads of positive feedback. Actually MAKE SURE there is loads of positive SELLER feedback. Meaning transactions where the person selling you the bass was the seller in other transactions.

2nd most important is to get specifics on the return policy. I cant stress this enough. Ask for a 10 day inspection period after you receive it.

Personally I would stay away from ebay on most higher priced items, unless there is 1,000+ of 99%+ positive feedback IMO.