Questions: Tweeter/horn + driver... crossovers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, Sep 17, 2003.

1. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Let me preface this by saying this isn't a project I'm working on, but more to help me understand how this would work.. probably basic stuff, but before I make any assumptions I'd rather someone who knows clear me up.

How do horns/tweeters influence impedance? If I design a cab with a single 1x15" 8ohm driver in it, and a horn tweeter also with an 8ohm impedance rating (assume proper crossover), how would the cab be wired for various impedances? Does series/parallel wiring work the same way between horn/driver as driver/driver (ie: 2x15 wired for either series: 16ohm, or parallel: 4ohm).

If I'm completely wrong in my thinking or not clear enough, please let me know.
  2. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    When you use a crossover, the impedence of the drivers for the different frequency ranges only come into play at those frequencies. In other words, if you've got a crossover that sends everything below 2.5K to an 8 ohm woofer and everything above 2.5K to a 16 ohm tweeter, your amp will "see" an 8 ohm load from 0 to 2.5K, and it will "see" a 16 ohm load from 2.51K on up (actually the ranges usually overlap a bit, but I'm keepeing it simple for this example). You'll find a lot of PA cabinets that use 16 ohm tweeters with 8 ohm woofers, especially JBL. Tweeters are often more efficient than woofers, so the added impedance of the tweeter compensates for the difference, helping to even out the response of the system.