1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by new_2_bass, May 13, 2006.

1. new_2_bass

new_2_bass

Apr 22, 2006
    Im just wondering about two things that are gonna make you want to slap me.

1. Is there such thing as distorion in bass amps?

2. In the song "Enter Sandman" by Metalica, the part thats not the intro, how do you do that? by pushing down, but not all the way or what?:confused:
    Anything you can say to help is important.

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    most bass amps don't have a separate distortion channel, rather we use pedals. A few amps have a second channel, but this is rare.

For question 2, I have no idea what you are talking about...

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1: Seldom do bass amps have more than one channel. Pedals are used mostly for this.

2. I have no idea what you're talking about either. Are you talking about the bassline? That's a fairly straight 8th note rhythm that's fully fretted. If you're talking aobut the guitar part, then no, that's fretted too.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh good.. I'm not the only one who is confused...

5. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I think you guys just slapped him...

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i mean, i heard it all the way from here....

ow!

he's like: :confused:

and you're like: :eyebrow: *SMAK*

now he's like: :bawl: :bag:

7. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    oh.

and about your original post, new_2_bass:

there are a wide range of overdrives and distortions for bass, usually in pedal form. that's definitely a distortion he's using in enter sandman. recordings are tough, because they usually combine two or more different bass tracks to come up with one sound... but you can get close with a boss ODB3 pedal, or an mxr M80, for starters.

hope that helps, and rock on!

8. new_2_bass

new_2_bass

Apr 22, 2006
    hey.... i said you could slap me but not that hard!!!!! grrr... ok... im not really good on hearing the difference in bass and guitar parts, so...ok now im confused. and is the pedal for distortion worth it? and how much (about) do they cost?

9. A lot of people use them, they can range from $15 cheapies to $300+ customs. Next on my list is the Rocktron Silver Dragon.

...and before you ask... yes, you can use guitar pedals on bass. :D

[​IMG]

10. new_2_bass

new_2_bass

Apr 22, 2006
  11. The b2 is a pretty good multi effects unit.

It has more than distortion, like chorus and flanger. It's a jack of all trades but a master of none. Some people are fine with them, but individual pedals do their effect better.

12. new_2_bass

new_2_bass

Apr 22, 2006
    $15... are you serious?

13. Yea, but not that beast. She's around $120. :bassist:

14. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    hey mang... i recommend multi effects units for people that are just starting out playing. although the effects themselves don't always sound as good as other individual stompboxes, you do get a veritable cornucopia of useable/fun sounds with which to learn and create! you also get to learn what all the different effects SOUND like, which is extremely important, and you can upgrade to better versions of the single effects you like best. so look into zoom stuff, or digitech maybe, or possibly korg or boss.

15. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I think with that second question he meant the muting that was going on there. The guitarists do that with the palms of their right hands...

16. For beginners, I would rather get a Bass V-Amp. I know many of you out there don't like it, but I love it! It has every single effect you will ever need (distorsion/overdrive, flanger, chorus, auto-wah, compression, reverb, synth, etc...) and you can change the settings on all of them to get the sound you need. I'm sure now you want only distorsion, but just by exploring this unit you will find that there's much more to bass than that: plus you can imitate the sound of a fretless or an acoustic bass (I'm sure it's not as good as the real acoustic or fretless, but i think it's pretty close).
    It's also an amp modeling processor as well, which means you can imitate the sound of many amps.
    It's also an amazing unit for recording: it also works for keyboard, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and I'm sure that with some tweaking you can use it with a mic as well.
    You can find them for around 100 U$.

17. new_2_bass

new_2_bass

Apr 22, 2006
    ok... but i still dont understand the metalica thing....

18. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    for the metallica thing, you use an overdrive or a distortion of some sort. that is all. the dude's playing normally, he's just distorting his signal.

19. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    i still dont get what "Metallica thing" he's talking about?
    someone fill me in here.... and yes i know the song, i can play the whoile thing.... and i didnt think newstead used distortion on that song....
    o well...

20. i think hes talking about when Kirk hits the wah

new_2_bass: the bass line to Enter Sandman is fairly simple, its mainly Open E 8th notes

oh, and somebody mentioned the boss odb-3, i have it, and i love it, best pedal i could ever ask for.