1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

questions.

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by jordan_frerichs, Mar 8, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    going to get my second bass soon. always changing my mind about what i want from my sound, so i figure a G&L tribute l-2000 would do good. what does everyon consider is the order from worst to last of these brands: squier, fender, Tribute G&L, G&L? it is made by the creater of fender, and has american parts, so i hope it is like a beefed up fender. what is the thickness at the nut, and heel? i preffer jazzy/thin necks. is the neck shape simalar to fender, if not, what? radious? i have never owned and active bass. what do i need to know about maintence on them? how often do i change the battery? what are the differences in the l-2500 in case i want the 5 string? would probably get a decent quality cheapo 5 to test the waters before i made a mager purchase. i got to know that G&L tribute is not the squier of G&L, because the tribute is above $500, witch is more expensive than a couple fenders. i don't want to be disappointed and say "damn it, could have got a fender". how often does guitar center have these on stock? would be good to play it before my order. i think i will do the blue burst with maple board. what did you choose?

2. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    also is the bridge string through, top loaded, or both? how accessable is the bridge? how low can the action get? what bridges are it compatible with?

3. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:Too many questions at once! :help:

Read around the forum a bit for some answers.

Jim

4. You won't get a Jazz neck on a L2K Tribute (unless it's a Japanese one), but if you are fine with a P neck the blueburst should sort you nicely. The electronics are totally kickarse and the build quality, finish etc are very well executed. I have a maple neck blueburst myself and it's a real piece of bass that would chew up any Squier and spit it into the middle of next week. Well, if it had my table manners it might.

If you really need the skinny neck consider a JB-2 Trib -- great little axe, passive setup (but hot!) and works beautifully.

5. Ah, yet more questions ....

Bridge is top loaded. Leo considered this bridge the last word, and I'm inclined to agree.
    You won't need to swap it out, it's pretty much as good as anything out there.

Just buy one, you won't regret it. It sounds like a USA G&L.

6. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    On US G&L's #6 and #8 necks are like Jazz necks. Active basses don't require battery changes often unless you leave the switch on and a cord plugged in.

Keep in mind that Leo Fender sold Fender in 1965. he started G & L in 1980 and was completely involved until his death in 1991. In many ways G & L's are more Fender than Fender.

7. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008

I assure you that wont happen. The G&L Tribute L2000 underpromises and overdelivers in a big big way!!!

8. the massive G&L bridge is a key component of the G&L sound.

9. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    wow. did not know that. thats good to know. minor changes over the years due to stupid new owners, realy add up. no wonder why the more vintage a fender is, the more people want it. so i'll assume that the first l-2000 were made in leo's liftime. from the final version of the L-2000 at the time of his death, what differences have been made on the modern ones, compared to leo's last batch?

10. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    i hate the bridge that came on my vm p squier. to dinky, and i would adjust the sides of each saddle evenly, look at it a week latter and one of the sides of the saplde would have sunk. the e string is resting on the saddle peice its self, and i always have to screw the action screws inward to prevent them from falling out. saddles also don't stay aligned, creating major buzz. i think i spend just as much tme fiddling with the bridge as i do playing it. i like bigger bridges. this one also has saddle guides on the sides. i think the bridge will realy impress me.

11. lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Leo Fender felt that the L-2000 was the best bass he ever made and stated so publicly. There have been few changes in 28 years and those have been minor. It Ain't broke so why fix it?

12. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    You can see how Leo's quest for a certain tone evolved. He started with the P bass, which was thick and chunky. He later did the Jazz, and that opened up the tone a lot, and added some growl. With the Stingray, he found even more growl, but it sacrificed some of the thick bottom of a P or J. The G&L is all that. Thick in the bottom, smooth and round up top, but growly and punchy across. It's a fantastic bass.

13. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
  14. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    seen it at lest half a dozen times this month

15. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    didn't know he also did the stingray. imagine what he would have made by know if he were alive

16. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    USA G&L vs Tribute...L-2500...

Is there a difference in sound? Neck shape/feel?

I do know there is a difference in the truss-rod.

17. Well, you know, what's holding you back? All those sounds are real.

18. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    naw, just don't got the cash just yet

19. lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Neck feel is very different.

20. AndroWal

AndroWal