Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Ethon, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I've taken like 3 lessons from a DB by the name of Sarah DeMarco, a local, very good DB player in my area to try to learn DB after playing EB.

It only took me about 1-2 weeks to learn pizz, which seems about right since it is fairly similar to EB, but I'm just now starting to get the hang of arco.

I am currently a 10th grader and playing in our class A instrumental group and from what I can hear of myself, I sound decently good.

I was wondering if I should find another local teacher (Sarah doesnt give lessons anymore) to continue my double bass playing experience, or just keep doing what I'm doing and pick it up on my own.

I dont own my own bass (Use one of the school's decent basses), so that might be a problem to take outside lessons...Was just wondering on your guys thoughts...thank you.
  2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Find another teacher immediately. Can Sarah recommend another teacher for you? If not, contact your local symphony. Often times there are section players who are willing to teach.

I can't imagine your school having any difficulties with you taking the bass out of school for lessons, but then again, who knows how school tink these days.

Anyway, keep taking lessons and good luck. I wish I had taken up the DB in 10th grade.
  3. Shlomobaruch

Dec 31, 2002
    Boise, ID
    YES! Find Ann Gilbert. She's the Principal of the Akron Symphony. She may have married and taken a different last name, because I've tried looking her up just to get back in touch, but haven't managed to do so. Then again, I'm currently out here in Boise, Idaho. Try and contact the symphony, see if someone can help you. She's awesome. I owe almost everything I know to her. If you can't work out an arrangement with her, then she would at least be able to recommend someone. Let us know how it goes.

... Sarah DeMarco... that name sounds familiar. Would you happen to know if she went to Baldwin-Wallace or Cleveland State?
  4. hey,

im off school just now for summer, i cant afford a private teacher cos ive not got alot of money,

my school gave me a bass and a bow and since i left school ive just been learning peices which my teacher left me(theres quite alot)

but anyway, do what you can to improve, thats how i think i.e i would sometimes say to myself i need to master different scales or i need to work on intination.

so keep yourself busy in the meantime,