Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott D, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    help..... i have a hartke cab that runs at 8ohms, and my ampeg throws out 450@ 4, and 275@ 8. its loud enough at 275, but i was wondering if its possible to like switch ohms or something (on the cab). cuz i was playing a 3pro runnin a 4 ohm cab, and it was like on 1, and it was shakin the store. is there anyway to switch ohms????

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Adding another 8 ohm cabinet... Most cabs, (all?), are run at a set ohmage...

-robert

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    so if i buy another 8ohm cab, i can get the full 450 watts out of my amp?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep. But the increase volume will also come from having more speakers moving more air. Do it, you'll never look back.

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    any suggestions??? like maybe a 2x10 or a 15??? and anyone know where i could get a cheap but good sounding one of these??? i tink id prefer a 2x10, because i don't want to haul major cabbage around.... 2x10 would be nice. please post back, thanx.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You didn't say what you're hartke cab has in it. If it's a single 15, a 2x10 would compliment it nicely.

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    its a 4x10 XL... an extra set of 10's would be nice, i hear the acme low b-2 rock, and i love the sound of ampeg 6x10s.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep 6x10's works well. I used 6x10's for years and was happy. I switched to a 15 when I started using the 5th string more and things got better again.... i alternate between a 2x10 and a 4x10 depending on the gig, but the 15 is always plugged in nowdays.

Maybe a 4x10 with a 15? That's what I use for the bigger, louder gigs and it's incredible. A 15 is about the same size and weight as a 2x10. Actually my Eden 2x10 is bigger heavier than my JBL 15.

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    really? my old 15 was so heavy i swear i'd have like muliple brain annurisms carrying it to gigs, and i hate 15's. what about some 2x10s or somethin like that, or a light 15. anyone know any???

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    So get a 15 for the sound. But don't get one as big and heavy as your old one. Avatar are pretty popular around here. And you can't beat the price.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Don't assume all 15's are bad and heavy. To be honest I can't even think of a 15 that's heavier than most 4x10's. I bought my Nemisis 4x10 because it is one of the lightest on the market (35kg), but it still weighs more than either of my 15's (30kg and 25 kg respectively). My Eden 2x10 is also 35kg.

Also there's a new technology starting to creep into the market - speakers with neodymium magnets. These things weigh next to nothing but still sound great. Tech sound systems and Epifani are using em in their cabs. Speakers makers like Eminance and P.Audio are also selling the raw speakers for those who know how to build their own cabs. I built a 2x10 which weighs 19kg complete, the 15 would have been a bit lighter again.