Quick amp/cab question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BoiNtC, Feb 19, 2004.

1. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I have a EBS 4x10 cabinet, and it has 2 speakon connectors, now I wanted to play 2 basses (I'll play one and a friend will play another), was curious as to if it'll blow out the cab if I hooked up one amp into each input for the cab and run both amps with basses at the same time.
  2. You'll probably kill the cab and both amps.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Depends on how much power each amp is. Generally speaking, not a good idea.

4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    okay I thought so. :p Well one's an EBS 350 and the other is a hartke 2500 or 3500 not sure, I'll probably end up running the 350 through a board like a preamp thing.
  5. you could rewire the cabinet - two speakers / speakon, and impedance issues aside, it would then be safe.

... but backing two power-amps onto the same circuit it asking for a two blow amps with two voided warranties. This is defined as Mutually Assured Destruction (joke for those over 50)
  6. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    And to expand just a bit on these answers, it is ALWAYS a bad idea to connect two outputs together like this, whether they are power amp outputs, preamp/mixer outs or any other. Connecting power amp outputs together is likely to result in the most spectacular destructive results to the amplifiers, but the speakers should actually be OK.
  7. I'm 18, I get the joke. Good One :)
  8. You're smarter than you think, when I was 18 I wouldn't have ask, I'd have just hook it up and watched it smoke.