Quick Ampeg BA-108 gig report.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darwin-bass, Aug 11, 2013.

1. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Had a gig yesterday - choir performance at a nursing home. Acoustic piano, drums played with brushes, 20-or-so voice choir.

I took the BA-108. It was more than loud enough (I had to turn down) and did a great job of covering the low D and C notes from my Carvin SB5000. The amp was full and rich sounding. Made the gig a fun one to play.

I as, once again, very impressed. This thing is a lot more than "just a practice amp".

- Keith -

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I agree, bro. Can't use it on most of my gigs, but I was doing a little restaurant gig with a very small jazz band playing stuff from the 30's and 40's where it was perfect.

3. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Every time I'm at a music store, and I think about buying a BA-108, I look at the BA-110 sitting next to it. Then, I see the BA-112, and of course there is the BA-115 next to that. Then I remind myself, that I've already got a B-100R, and don't really need another amp, but one of these days, I'm going to pick one of these little amps up just for the heck of it.

I think one reason I haven't bought one, is because I can't choose from among all the different size options.

Darn it, now I'm off to Craigs List to search the word Ampeg again.

4. darwin-bass

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    I started by trying to buy the B100R. Local guy has been trying to sell one for $450 for almost 2 years. I offered 2 months ago. He said "well, if your're not just totally in love with it then maybe it isn't the right amp for you. I can wait for a buyer who is head over heals in love with it.".

My kid has the BA112. I tried it. Nice amp but waaaay to heavy and big for a practice amp.

What I didn't expect is how well the BA108 does as a small gig amp!

5. bccbass

bccbass

Dec 31, 2010
    I have the B100R too and picked up a new BA108 a couple weeks ago for rehearsals. The BA108 is an impressive small combo at 27lb and has that Ampeg sound with punch. Don't know how they got so much into such a small package. I also use to own a Line 6 studio 110 and before that TE Boxer 30. I'd put the BA108 as a better value for the money; although all performed well. For $99, you can't go wrong.

6. bccbass

bccbass

Dec 31, 2010
    One other note. I will say that the BA108 is the best practice combo that I've owned. Not only because of size, but I think Ampeg nailed it on the line level volume. Great feature.

7. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Just ordered a used BA108 from GC for $49! Man, you can't beat that! It'll be perfect for practicing at home at night. I love the CD input with its own volume control. Perfect for playing along to my iPod with the headphones.

I love my PF500/PF115HE rig but even that gets to be a bear to move up and down the stairs where we rehearse. The BA108 might also become my rehearsal amp too. I can't wait.

8. darwin-bass

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Mine doesn't have a separate volume for the CD inp .... hey, wait ... Wow, I didn't even see that.

It has a separate volume control for the CD input! Too Cool!

- Keith -

9. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    The BA112 is almost as big as the B100R, and the B100R sounds better, (and I assume gets louder), so I would skip any of the bigger BA amps in favor of the B100R.

I keep my B100R amp chassis loose from the cabinet, and have a 1/4 inch jack on the amp, and cab, so I can pair either with other cabs, and amps. (I misplaced the screws that held it in place. Maybe I can rig up some Velcro to make the amp chassis easily removed, and installed).

10. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    B100R is also 50% heavier than BA-112. It may matter to some folks, not to others.

11. funkythumb

funkythumb

Aug 26, 2005
    Atlanta
    It's been a very busy last month since I wrote. I wanted to throw out a quick update on how my BA-108 did on my church gig. I play in a huge church and use the 108 as my personal monitor. It worked just as I expected. As opposed to Genz Shuttle 3.0, the 108, cuts through better in the mids department but has less low end output than the ported Genz. Just what I needed. I can hear myself a bit better without getting complaints from the sound guy about having too much volume on stage. I used the cab for several services and two concerts with members of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra while I was doubling. Not one volume complaint but heard myself just great.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021