Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick and easy question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Mar 19, 2005.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm strongly considering getting an Avatar 212, since I have a 5-string bass on the way, and I'm not digging the sound of my Hartke 410XL by itself right now. I have a GK 400RB head which I am not going to upgrade any time soon, due to financial (wife) constraints (she's still getting over the Lakland DJ5 purchase).

If I can talk her into getting the 212, should I get the 4 or 8 ohm version??? The way I see it, I have two options:

a) get the 8 Ohm cabinet, which would allow me to run both it and the Hartke off the GK (though I doubt this would sound very good)
    OR
    b) get the 4 Ohm version, and run just it off the GK. Maybe sell the Hartke to make the wife happy, though I doubt I'd get much for a 410 XL from circa 1990. :(

One more thing. I will NOT be gigging with this rig, at all. It's strictly for at-home use, and I don't turn it up loud EVER (I've got a kid).

At some point, I might like to get a new head, but not for a while.

Thanks!!!

2. Considering that the 400RB is 280w @4ohms and 180w @8 ohms I would get the B212 @8 ohms, try it with the Hartke cab, and if you still don't like the Hartke sell it and get a B210 @8 ohms.

I think the Hartke 410XL will go for pretty good money on the Bay.

3. BartmanPDX

Thanks for your response. That's a good idea I hadn't considered. :)

4. BartmanPDX

If I use only the Avatar 212 with the GK head, would it have more headroom in the 4 or 8 Ohm version? :confused:

From what I can tell, the 4 Ohm version would only be about 2dB or so louder than the 8 Ohm, so I'm leaning toward the 8 Ohm version, which would allow me to experiment with running the Avatar and the Hartke at the same time.