Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick Battery Power Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If I leave my bass plugged in at all times, none of the battery power will be drained if I keep my bass switched to passive mode, correct?

2. No. the cord in the bass activates the guitar's preamp.

Randy

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Usually a passive mode will not turn off the preamp, just bypass it.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah, ok. So leave 'em unplugged then :D

5. Yup, if the bypass switch controlled power, it would likely POP like crazy when you switch it a the preamp powered up.

Randy

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Depends on the electronics design.
    Some preamps are activated when you plug in - most usually with active p-ups and preamps.
    Some preamps are only activated if you switch them on - if you have an active bypass switch on a bass with passive p-ups, like your Elrick with passive Barts, then it may not drain battery. Though I'd need to look at the wiring to be able to tell for sure.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

there are different wirings for by-pass. Most simply work like a lightswitch and simply break the hot lead to the pre leaving the negative from battery clip intact (or visa versa). Seems those do drain the battery regardless. Some break both the hot and negative lead to the pre so the pre/battery are competely severed from the jack/passive circuit. Those shouldn't drain the battery.