Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick break in

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by I.M. Noone, Jan 16, 2006.

1. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    I put a hefty set of Boomers on my Univox Hi-Flyer and was struck by their brightness! They make a loud click or rather clank! as I fret each note - it's really disturbing. I stretched them out and have been picking, strumming, beating, etc. for almost a month and they are still really bright n' funky, NOT the sound it had with the set the previous owner had on there. Is there anything else I can try to break them in? :help: Thanks!

2. Play as much as possible, every day, for hours on end. Thats just about the only way I know of to break them in. If you are looking for a darker sound, then boomers may not be for you. You may need a good set of DR's or some Roto's.

They arent too expensive, and if you dislike the sound that much, and are giging, maybe a string change or setup is needed (or maybe both).

3. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    Cool, I figured as much. I just may try some DRs and save the Boomers as backups. Thanks for the tip.