1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick break in

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by I.M. Noone, Jan 16, 2006.

1. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    I put a hefty set of Boomers on my Univox Hi-Flyer and was struck by their brightness! They make a loud click or rather clank! as I fret each note - it's really disturbing. I stretched them out and have been picking, strumming, beating, etc. for almost a month and they are still really bright n' funky, NOT the sound it had with the set the previous owner had on there. Is there anything else I can try to break them in? :help: Thanks!

2. Play as much as possible, every day, for hours on end. Thats just about the only way I know of to break them in. If you are looking for a darker sound, then boomers may not be for you. You may need a good set of DR's or some Roto's.

They arent too expensive, and if you dislike the sound that much, and are giging, maybe a string change or setup is needed (or maybe both).

3. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    Cool, I figured as much. I just may try some DRs and save the Boomers as backups. Thanks for the tip.