Quick but important question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayingfool, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Hey I currently own an Ampeg rig. 4x10 a 15, B5R head. I love the amp but I just quit my current band, and I am moving into an apartment soon and could really use the money. I have an oppourtunity to sell my cabinets and get a portabass 1x10 for extremely cheap. I will be keeping the b5R. I thought about woodshedding for awhile anyway and not be real quick about joining a new band. So what would you do. Keep the huge rig that is overkill right now, or buy the portabass cab.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You can always turn a big rig down, but can't turn a small rig up.
  3. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Can't you just buy the cheapo little combo AND keep your big rig? Trust me, you'll regret getting rid of the big rig later on when you join a new band! Then you'll just have to go buy a new rig and waste the money!
  4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Turn your cabs into a table until the next time you need them, and get a headphone amp for practice.
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Yeah, don't ditch the big rig. Get a direct box and headphone amp for practice but keep the big rig. I guarantee you'll find the PERFECT gig just days after you unload it!
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    That's exactly what I've done. The Goliath III is an end table in the living room, draped with a nice tablecloth. It's a handy T.V. watching perch for the little ones, and with the tablecloth my wife doesn't mind it at all. (That's the key.)

Glad I kept it, because I recently got a call from a buddy whose bassist quit shortly before an outdoor festival gig. So by no means should you dump the big rig! You never know when you'll need it, you have to assume you will.