Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quick comp help:installing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MCBTunes, May 20, 2005.

1. OK I'm trying to install DVD player in my computer(software). And auto run doesnt work, how can I install it?

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    try going to my computer and to your cd drive and then look through the cd for a file called installer.exe or setup.exe or something like that.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Is the DVD drive showing up in the computer's BIOS? If so it should already be installed (assuming you have XP). No other software is needed.

If you don't know what a BIOS is or how to check it you are in over your head and should get help from someone who knows what they are doing.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep. The first step is to make sure the appropriate driver is installed. If you can see your DVD player in the Windows Explorer, the driver is probably installed and functioning.

The second step would be to install the application software. Look for a file called "setup.exe" somewhere in the folder tree. Sometimes, the tree is partitioned by machine type or by operating system type, so you may have directories called "i386" or "win2k", something like that. You have to find the right setup.exe.

Try to pay attention to that, 'cause sometimes if you install the wrong version it'll kinda-sorta look like it's installing, but maybe it'll stop halfway, and then you'll have to back out and uninstall everything.

Can you reference the particular software being installed? Maybe we can help guide you through it. :)