Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick!!! Computer problem.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Sep 22, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I am on a timeline as I need to fix my Moms PC before I have to pickup the family. Anyway...Old Dell with win98, has virus. Virus cleaner did not work, I decided to nuke it and reinstall windows. Will a F'disk and Format take care of it. Unfortunatley I dont have time to clean the virus out.

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yes, as long as your install CDs aren't infected.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Recordtime!!!! Darn that was fast!!!! Ok will do that. Check that out thread started at 1:02, first post at 1:02!!!

4. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    My post time was dumb luck. I had just logged on to TB to start my "Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) denied entry into US" thread, and I saw this thread at the top of the OT list.

Being morbidly curious (as I use a Mac at home behind a hardware router so virus / worm / malware infection is practically an impossibility) I stopped in here to see what the PC problem of the day happened to be. :)

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I guess if you downloaded pirated software and burned it to disk that could happen.

6. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    There have been a few (and I mean very few) shrinkwrapped software packages that distributed infected CDs. I've never heard of any MS CDs being infected though.

Just don't hook the computer up to the internet until you've reinstalled Norton and somehow gotten it updated (download from another computer?). I was talking with a guy earlier today who wiped/reformatted/reinstalled XP on his PC and before he could finish installing Norton AV and get the latest updates he had been infected by MS Blast. Just by being connected to the internet!!! :eek: