Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick Computer Question(s) - Help! (Please)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slipperyPete, Mar 9, 2006.

1. I am not smart when it comes to computers and I have a quick question (well maybe a couple.)

1) What does the line in on a soundcard look like? My best guess is that it is the straight horizontal line with a sideways 'C' on top of it with the half-filled / half-empty oval on top of that, if that description makes sense.

2) Anyone familiar with the Fruity Loops program? If so, is it capable of recording whatever I send through the line in? And if so, how would I go about doing that?

Any advice on any of my questions is more than appreciated, thanks.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I used to use FL. You can record anything to mix in with it. Save your input, and add it to a mix. If you're looking for step by step instructions on this, hit up the guys over at audioforums.com. There are some smart guys over there. The tutorials are just what you are looking for.

-Mike

3. Awesome, thanks for the information. You don't know the answer to my first question do you?

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I found a picture......

[​IMG]

Speakers are green, audio input devices would be blue, and microphones go with the pink. The colors may be different on some cards, but the little pictures with each section will stay the same.

-Mike

5. Hmm... it looks like I don't have a line in then on this laptop, thats a real bummer. Thanks for the help anyways.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What laptop is it?

-Mike

7. Dell Latitude D510

The mic input wouldn't work for sending my minidisc into would it... that's sort of a last ditch effort on my part.

8. On a laptop you're probably going to need an external soundcard of some sort.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It will work. Not the best quality, but it will work.

-Mike

10. Well, it looks like I'm going to give the mic input a try. I really just want to get this show I recorded from MD onto a CD. If the mic input doesn't work, I'll just have to use my roomates computer to record (transfer) the show, then trasnfer via a flash drive to the laptop so I can burn the CD. Thanks for all the help.

PS. Math is always fun.