Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick decision needed...Yammy v Spector, opinions wanted!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Apr 10, 2002.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Given the choice between:

Used Yamaha TRB5-P Fretless teal over flame maple body, 5-piece neck with lined ebony fretboard, 3-band EQ, P/J pickups AND piezo bridge pickup for about $875.00

or

New Spector NS-JH5 Fretless Swamp Ash body, bolt-on 2 octave neck with rosewood fingerboard, active EMG "J" and active EMG "CS Soapbar" p'ups,active 2-band eq. system for about $1300.

Give me your feedback!!! Thanks!!!

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'd go for the Spector - I'm that way inclined!!!!

I just wish I could get a fretless Spector 5 string for $1,300 over here (well £950)!!!!

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The Yamaha is a neck through and the Spector is an American-made bolt on, unlined.

I've never heard a Spector fretless though.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think I would get the Yammy. It's cheaper, and piezos are cool on fretlessess. It's, just as you said, also N/T - a good thing if you have a preference for that on a fretless bass.

I don't think it's a flame maple body though, flame maple top perhaps, but the old N/T's were alder, IIRC.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another thing to consider is the neck and the string spacing.

The TRB has a very wide neck, with a thin profile, and of course wide string spacing.

The Spector has a narrower neck, with a deeper, rounded profile. The string spacing is too tight for me.

What do your hands prefer?