1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick decision needed...Yammy v Spector, opinions wanted!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Apr 10, 2002.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Given the choice between:

Used Yamaha TRB5-P Fretless teal over flame maple body, 5-piece neck with lined ebony fretboard, 3-band EQ, P/J pickups AND piezo bridge pickup for about $875.00

or

New Spector NS-JH5 Fretless Swamp Ash body, bolt-on 2 octave neck with rosewood fingerboard, active EMG "J" and active EMG "CS Soapbar" p'ups,active 2-band eq. system for about $1300.

Give me your feedback!!! Thanks!!!

2. I'd go for the Spector - I'm that way inclined!!!!

I just wish I could get a fretless Spector 5 string for $1,300 over here (well £950)!!!!

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The Yamaha is a neck through and the Spector is an American-made bolt on, unlined.

I've never heard a Spector fretless though.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think I would get the Yammy. It's cheaper, and piezos are cool on fretlessess. It's, just as you said, also N/T - a good thing if you have a preference for that on a fretless bass.

I don't think it's a flame maple body though, flame maple top perhaps, but the old N/T's were alder, IIRC.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Another thing to consider is the neck and the string spacing.

The TRB has a very wide neck, with a thin profile, and of course wide string spacing.

The Spector has a narrower neck, with a deeper, rounded profile. The string spacing is too tight for me.

What do your hands prefer?