Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick DI update re: Countryman and SABDDI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    At last night's gig with my country band, I ran straight to the board and our Mackie SR 1530's. My chain was: bass>ShureUT wireless>Boss TU-2>SABDDI>snake>board. It sounded good, but the bass just wasn't cutting through. It was a little mushy. Good, but just a little soft (not quiet).

So between the second and third sets, I swapped out the SABDDI for my Countryman Type 85 DI. Whoa. Talk about clarity. I found that both my Jazz V FMT and Zon Sonus had more than adequate on-board EQ to provide the tonal variety I require, but dang! The Countryman was just crystal clear. I was using these two boxes because I forgot to bring my U5. Anyway, the U5's staying home tonight, and the Countryman will be in the lineup.

Nonetheless, I still think the SABDDI is a great tool for helping weak links in the signal chain. It's just that, when there are no weak links, it's not critical.

Over and out.

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I agree. In my limited experience with it, the SABDDI is very good if you need tone control or distortion, but it does not give you clarity or cut.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Weird, I've had the opposite experience. Maybe it's the basses? Conklin gt-7 and a Fender elite 2. I don't own a countryman, but when I did get the chance to use one it seemed to make the top end brittle. I guess it's personal preference.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey blisshead, your experience mirrors my own - my countryman is practically screechy when i use it with my basses. almost unusable.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... bizarre ...

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, this does seem to suggest that certain DI's go with certain basses better than others.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i agree. i was fiddling around with my old jazz bass through it :)eek: a 4 string? don't tell anybody :D ) into the board and it sounded decent, so i always suggest that folks use it with a passive instrument.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Makes sense. A four string? Damn J.T..... :D

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    -shhh!!!-