Quick & Dirty Way to Reinstall WinXP???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Nov 29, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

so i've got 5 viruses on this one hunk o' junk desktop, but i do wanna use it as a server for later use. but admittedly, this'll be my first clean reinstall of XP.

anyone wanna gimme the low down on how to fully erase and eradicate whatever's on the harddrive, and then install XP?

- sincerely,

Mr. "i wish i knew more about XP"
  2. I'd like to hear the answers for this, too.
  3. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I was just about to post that too.
  4. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Just boot from the cd. Then select the new install option. After that, it will give you an option to delete the existing partions. Then you will have the option to create new partitions and format them.
    This should take care of your virus problems. The only ones it wouldnt be boot sector virus's. For that you would have to do low level formatting. You would have to go to the HD manufacturer website to find out how to do that. There is a risk however of you HD becoming unusable.
  5. you could always just go to my cpu and right click the c drive and hit format. thats how i do it.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Follow the instructions from vegaas. David's are correct, but since you want to install fresh, the tool that launches when you boot from CD is almost idiot proof.

Remember that through the process, you are doing a clean install. Format and delete every single partition you find. It won't let you delete the system partition, so you're safe.

You need/want a copy of Server2003? If so, PM me.

7. With one thing and one thing only:

A 12 gauge.

Rock on
  8. lol, that's so true
  9. suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    The other thing to remember is to re-install Windows without the network cable plugged in (if you're planning to connect to the internet that is...).

Make sure you enable the Windows firewall first, and then plug in the network cable, and start downloading Windows Updates and Service Packs as the first thing you do.

If you're just using a dial-up connection, enable the firewall before you dial up to the internet for the first time.

Sadly the average time for an unpatched networked Windows machine to be hit by a worm or virus was less than 4 minutes last I checked.

I know half a dozen people who've been infected before Windows had even finished installing (before Service Pack 2 it would enable internet connection before giving you the option to turn the firewall on).

10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

wow, interesting.

but thx again guys. :cool:
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    aighty guys,

did what y'all said, and tried to simply boot from the CD. unfortunately, no go. :(

everytime i get to the license screen, it stops. mind you, the page up and down keys work fine, and the ESC button does too. but when i hit F8 to "agree", nothing, nadda, nil.

i tried reformatting in NTFS with Partition Commander, and its all hunky dory there. even did a regular format via the ol' C prompt.

anyone know wassup?
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Any of the other "F" keys work? Does the F8 serve as any other function? On mostly laptops, the "F" serves multiple functions. Is it possible that the F8 is set to do something else?

13. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    Is it a usb keyboard?
  14. Make sure you install firefox asap after you format, and don't touch IE again so this doesn't happen again.
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thought it was that, but happened again with my regular keyboard. :rolleyes:

frickin' MS.
  16. check if there is an F function button, with it off none of the F buttons work as F buttons.