1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

quick dumb question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stevetx19, Dec 28, 2006.

1. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    ok, i know very little of electronics, and i know this is a dumb question, but when upgrading to an active system (aggie ob3), i have to switch the mono jack with a stereo jack. i understand that is to cut the battery when the cable is disconected. my question is, with the stereo jack, do i need to use a stereo cable? or does any standard guitar cable do the trick.

thanks in advance for not banishing me to the land of stupid people....

peace
    .s

2. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    I have an active bass (Steinberger) and and active guitar (Parker). Neither require a stereo jack or cable nor did the owners' manual say anything about that. But I'm stupid too so don't mind me too close.

3. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Most active basses require a 3-conductor, or stereo, output jack. You do not need a stereo cord for this jack, however. The idea is this, when you insert a mono plug, the sleeve of the plug creates a complete circuit to the ground by connecting 2 conductors together. This ground is also your common for the battery (or batteries). The 3rd conductor is the + (tip) and plays no part in battery on/off operation.

4. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    awsome,

that makes sense.

thanks

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    In fact, if you should end up using a stereo plug, the active circuit won't work! Found that out the hard way by accident. :rolleyes:

Mike