1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick Effect Questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Araillac, Oct 15, 2009.

1. So I just bought 3 pedals. On the back of my combo amp, there's an effect send and return. Should I plug the effects in there and then plug the guitar into the normal input? Or should I have the guitar in one of the effects, the effects lined up, then the last effect plug into the amp? Also, I mix a lot of bass and guitar stuff together. 2 of the effects may be bass, I'm not sure. 1 is guitar. The amp is a bass amp and the guitar is a guitar. Will this hurt or affect anything in a bad way?

I play both bass and guitar so don't hate :bag:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The pedals are all fine, and should be plugged directly to the amp's input. The effects loop is designed for rack mounted effects, which run at line level. Your pedals are instrument level, just like your bass. So, bass to pedal1, p1 to p2, p2 to p3, and pedal 3 to amps input.

3. good to know. thanks a bunch :)

4. Allow me to steal thread... When I plug my MXR M-80 in to the input on my Ashdown it pushes the input level way too hard, but works perfect as a distortion unit when in the effects loop. I know the M-80 is also a preamp, but is this really the reason for this happening? Anyone else had this problem?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just need to balance all your gain stages. If one is too hot, turn it down.