1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

quick fix for a headstock ding

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lousybassplayer, Mar 17, 2009.

1. So I was trying out for a band and they were all rather amused and impressed with my bass. I thought the guitar player would choke when I told him what it cost. I wasn't bragging or anything, but he asked. Anywho, after telling him I promptly jammed the headstock into a very low ceiling fan and dinged the ply on the front of it right on the tip. It's not that big or deep, in fact the wood beneath looks pretty much fine, but I as wondering what I can do to hide the edge of the ding just a little to prevent the edge of it from further damage. I hesitate to start sanding away, but is this my only option? Should I just leave it and chalk it up to character?

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    You can put a little dab of super glue in there if you want, but I've got basses with dings and dents and in six years I have never had a problem dings and dents getting larger.

3. olistorck

olistorck

Sep 16, 2007
    oviedo,spain
    Pics... than advice.

4. yeah, i thought of that. I am at work but will post some pics tonight.

5. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    Yeah, pics will help. I have used clear fingernail polish to keep chips from getting bigger but you can get a reaction with certain finishes.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Works like a champ!

The headstock on my Ric (Jetglo) is pretty much completely painted in sharpy.