1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

quick ? for ebay purposes: can i play through a guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nunk6, Nov 27, 2000.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i have a preamp processor with two outputs for stereo; can i play through a guitar amp through one side and then bass amp through other
    **if anyone has any experience with playing a bass through a guitar amp,even if it was once, please tell me**
    i'm going to bid on ebay for a cheap guitar amplifier if the results are that it can be done thank you

2. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    From your profile I wonder why you would want to do this. You have such a nice stable of gear. At extremely low volume levels a guitar amp can handle bass frequencies.

If you had a way to split off the highs from the rest of your signal, you could use the guitar amp. You need what is called a crossover or just a high pass filter.

If bass frequencies run full power though a guitar amp and speakers something really bad will happen.

jc

3. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i dont know why i'm going to do this either but i found a princeton guitar amp without a cab and speakers on ebay for $1. My friend is going to give me an old 'vintage' looking blue cab that can fit 4 10s so i thought it would be worth a try to use the guitar head either alone or with bass amp too; you wouldnt happen to know how to run a crossover like that safely would you?

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    In a word, NO.

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    bear in mind that a 4x10 guitar cab is not designed like a 4x10 for bass which means 10" bass drivers might not sound well through it, but hey give it a shoot, I might be wrong.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I wouldnt recomend it, guitar and bass have 2 totally different freq responces, but I remeber reading somewhere once the John Myung of Dream Theatre used a Mesa Boogie guitar preamp to get his sound, I alo read once that either the bassist or guitarest from tool kept his Fender head in the Freezer because it keeps the components in a suspended state of anomation, but I wouldnt try that either,. Give it a go and let us know how it went, its your $$