Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quick ? for ebay purposes: can i play through a guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nunk6, Nov 27, 2000.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i have a preamp processor with two outputs for stereo; can i play through a guitar amp through one side and then bass amp through other
    **if anyone has any experience with playing a bass through a guitar amp,even if it was once, please tell me**
    i'm going to bid on ebay for a cheap guitar amplifier if the results are that it can be done thank you

2. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    From your profile I wonder why you would want to do this. You have such a nice stable of gear. At extremely low volume levels a guitar amp can handle bass frequencies.

If you had a way to split off the highs from the rest of your signal, you could use the guitar amp. You need what is called a crossover or just a high pass filter.

If bass frequencies run full power though a guitar amp and speakers something really bad will happen.

jc

3. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i dont know why i'm going to do this either but i found a princeton guitar amp without a cab and speakers on ebay for $1. My friend is going to give me an old 'vintage' looking blue cab that can fit 4 10s so i thought it would be worth a try to use the guitar head either alone or with bass amp too; you wouldnt happen to know how to run a crossover like that safely would you?

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
  5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    bear in mind that a 4x10 guitar cab is not designed like a 4x10 for bass which means 10" bass drivers might not sound well through it, but hey give it a shoot, I might be wrong.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I wouldnt recomend it, guitar and bass have 2 totally different freq responces, but I remeber reading somewhere once the John Myung of Dream Theatre used a Mesa Boogie guitar preamp to get his sound, I alo read once that either the bassist or guitarest from tool kept his Fender head in the Freezer because it keeps the components in a suspended state of anomation, but I wouldnt try that either,. Give it a go and let us know how it went, its your $$