Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

quick grounding question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spots, Jan 11, 2005.

1. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    So I just got a GK 400RB-IV and an avatar 210 neo and ive noticed that at medium to higher volumes a buzz/hum can be heard when i don't touch the strings. The buzz is made worse by boosting the treble. Touching the strings, the input jack, or the bridge solves the problem.
    I did a search and think it has to do with the grounding of either my amp or my bass. So here's what i did. I made sure power source for the head was secure and plugged it into a different outlet (i had it in a surge protecter/power strip be4). All the outlets in my house are grounded btw. Still a hum. So i pulled out my old amp, an old polytone mini brute, plugged it in to a diffferent outlet, cranked it and listened. The hum was there. I had never noticed it before. So my question is, through the experimenting i did (different outlets and different amps) and my results (always ground hum), does this mean that the ground issue lies in my bass? If so, how easy is it to fix this problem?
    Thanks for the help

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    You need to shield your bass. Search the forum for many the threads on this. Also check www.guitarnuts.com