1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick Hammer on - Pull off - Tips - Remarks

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by m0ranwad, Mar 13, 2013.

1. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    Tried fishing around for a Youtube lesson in which someone discussed hammer on pull off technique on bass. I know the strengthening exercises. and I use the technique often, but I'm not so sure about my execution. :eyebrow:

Take for instance, Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People. Simple bass line with quick HO/PO throughout. A cake walk for all of you out there :cool:

Is it necessary to pull down on the string (to pluck), as opposed to simply releasing the fret?

In hind sight, I should have recorded a few more takes to fix the goofs and timing issues, but you can reference my poor technique here :bag:

2. C2C -2.0

C2C -2.0

Dec 19, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm having somewhat of the same issue with the bass intro to "Three Days" by Jane's Addiction. I'll keep my eyes on this thread...might find out something.

3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    HO-PO is in reallity a "tremolo" ... well in the classical world it is.

You should be able to do that and have a sound without plucking once.

4. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    Wow, I'd never considered that. You're saying I shouldn't have to pluck a single note? I'd assume I should still strike the initial note before hammering on and beginning the HO-PO sequence.

5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Of course most of the time way before you do it, you will pluck the first note, but for practice sake you don't need to pluck. If you get a sound without plucking, you do it right.

This "not plucking the string" thing lead to a lot of others tricks, especially in slap bass line. Victor Wooten often slap a note with his thumb but hit 2 others notes with an HO-PO that are on another string.

So ultimately it will lead you to tapping.