1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

quick help with an electrostatically charged condenser mic

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ajak, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
    This is a little difficult for me to write in English, I hope I use the technical terms correctly.

Tonight we set up everything for the drum tracking fof our demo. One of the overheads - Audio Technica 40-series small diaphragm condenser mic - buzzes. I turned on the phantom power and everything was fine, then I had to readjust the mic and somehow I think I electrostatically charged the mic - it started to hum. When I move my hand closer to the mic it gets louder and it sounds very weird when I touch it. I turned the phantom power off, I removed the cable and we tried - without success - to ground it.

What do you do in this situation?
    W need to start recording tomorrow morning so I'm hoping for a quick answer! Thanks!

2. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I don't know if you did this yet. Have you tried using a different cable and/or plugging it into a different channel of the mixer?

3. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
    I thought of that but I was at home already. I'm just leaving to the recordings now. Thanks!