Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick, I need advice on defretting my bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mike Money, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I am defretting my Squier P-Bass to develop my skills in listening to the notes, not just playing them.

Here is what I need:

1. Tools that work well. I am thinking just get a saudering iron to heat up the frets so that the glue will melt so that I can just slide the frets right out.

2. What are somethings I can fill the fret slots with? Store bought or home made, I do not really care.

3. Will I need to coat my neck in anything?

4. What strings work best with fretless basses?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Depends on what sound you're after. Flats will give you a deader sound with more thump - whereas rounds will give you a brighter sound with more edge. Just like you'd expect with a fretted bass.

Rounds also bring the mwah out much better than flats, so if you're after the mwah, you might like to go with rounds.

But, do a search on defretting - there's been plenty said about it already, I think.

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    This website gave me all the info I needed on defretting. Let me know if you need anymore info besides that.