1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick Jazz wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EquineGuest, Apr 15, 2010.

1. EquineGuest

EquineGuest

Mar 27, 2008
    Standard J bass wiring. Three 250 k pots, mono jack. Passive.

Ran just the hots to one leg of the input jack, and it is working fine.

Wondering if the ground leg of the input jack needs to be connected? And if so, where? To the bridge ground wire, or to the back of one of the pots.

Need to know if I go without it, I won't risk shocking the Munchausen out of myself!

2. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    it will work without one, because the control plate will ground it... I always add a wire back to one of the pots anyway

3. EquineGuest

EquineGuest

Mar 27, 2008
    So, good idea just to go ahead and slap one on there from the ground leg of the input jack to the back of the tone pot?

Thank you kind Sir Rasta!

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    You should also have a wire connected to the back of one of the pots from the bridge and all three pots should be connected on the back to each other.

5. EquineGuest

EquineGuest

Mar 27, 2008
    I do have the wire going from the bridge, as well as the recommended wire going from the ground on the input jack to the back of the tone pot.

What does having the three pots grounded to each other buy you? Redundancy? Safety? Less noise?

6. Here's a wiring diagram that is simple and easy to read.

BASS1.

7. EquineGuest

EquineGuest

Mar 27, 2008
    Wiring diagrams? We don't need no stinking wiring diagrams! lol. Thanks for that, I already have a couple. The Seymour Duncan wiring diagram does not add the additional pot to pot ground wires in theirs. Although, I have some that do.

Mostly just trying to learn something here. To understand the reasoning behind the schematics. Could help in future applications so I need not rely so heavily on diagrams.

8. redsquidd

redsquidd Banned

Mar 11, 2008
    Forgive my ignorance, but I soldered pickups to a jazz harness in the past. I like to make a new harness (2 Vol. 1 Tone). My question is: What kind of cable is connecting the outer lugs? Say if I'm going to Radio Shack, what kind of cable should I buy? What's the best gauge?
    Also, what's better? Bending the lug to solder it to the pot to ground it? I had one harness that looks like copper wire is connecting the ground lugs.