Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Quick Legal Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Superdave, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    If a Police Officer writes me a ticket, but writes the wrong name down, does this invalidate the ticket?

I gave him a form of ID, told him my name, and he wrote it down wrong. I didn't even notice until I had already walked away. I've heard of people getting out of tickets for wrong birth dates, and even wrong court dates. Anyone know?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You did something wrong, pay the fine.

Go to your local police station, and bring the mistake to their attention. If the same police officer wrote you a check, you'd be all over him making sure the name was correct.

-Mike

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Why do I feel like I'm getting set up here? :hyper:

Is the date of birth and driver's license number on the ticket correct?

Did you give him your actual driver's license, or another form of ID?
    By the way, not carrying your driver's license with you is a seperate offense in some States.

4. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I gave him my student ID, which is all I have at the moment. Birthdate is correct.

5. What are you talking about, Cheezie?

This is Off Topic - Set up is a few floors above us. :bag: :D

In NYC, they used to throw out tickets which were improperly written, but I think the loophole is much smaller now.

Mike

6. I think, just pay it, be honest....
    You'll find it back later, you'll get feedbacks....
    The better way to me!

Vince

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Pay the ticket and count yourself lucky. You could have been arrested in Ohio for not having your driver's license with you, and made to post a $500 (or $5000) bond before you were released.
    Not having your license on you, is considered prima facie evidence that you don't have one.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Not to stir the pot too much...

...He's not saying what kind of offence he was busted for...could have been open container, could've been noise violation, etc., might not have been a driving infraction. If he was grabbed for a non-driving ticket, would he still have a problem w/o a DL?

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Wow, Ohio is a very weird state.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

It is actually not weird at all. I'd be willing to bet MOST States have the same provision. Just because it is there, doesn't mean it is always enforced.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    No. Having a driver's license is required for "driving". Not just to be out in public.

12. No driver's license required. At least, there better not be.

13. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    in nys if you don't have ur DL on you they write you another ticket but you go to court with your lisence and be like "hey look see I got it!" and they rip it up. I don't know how it is in St Louis, but he probably had his insurance card or something. wait, do you have your license at all?

oh, btw, go to court on your date and figure it out, maybe you'll get a judge who just had a really good sandwhich or something.

shrug. :bag:

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yeah guys.. he walked away.... no license needed..

what else did he write on the ticket?

SSN? Birthday?

15. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Actually, you're always required to carry some form of ID whether driving a car, or walking around a lake. It's just that some places don't enforce it. Every state requires you to carry a drivers license, AND proof of insurance when driving however.

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    he had his ID

a school ID is valid as long as he wasn't driving.. or anything else that requires ager

17. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    LOL i knew there was a reason i didnt live in ohio!lol

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    From the State of Missouri's driver's license website:

That's the same requirement Ohio has, for your information.

19. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I have gotten a ticket a couple times for not having it! It is like a $20 ticket. Ohio people r nutz to live someplace that you get arrested for it! :p

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

People don't normally decide where they live based on driver's license law. At least none that I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.