Quick maintenance question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Birdy num num, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Birdy num num

Birdy num num

Feb 21, 2005
    With a bonus query!!

1) I recently came into possession (legally, of course) of a GK 400RBIII. I do mostly 3- and 4-set shows, and am wondering what I do with the amp during breaks. Turn it off? Mute it? Yell at it? I know there's a cooling fan in there somewhere, so that's why I need your expertise. My old BA-115 I simply turned off on breaks, but this rig may need some gig TLC.

2) I'm hearing good stuff re the Avatar 2/12" (punch, with a solid bottom, etc.)...would that be enough (RBIII rated 240 watts at 4 ohms) for the medium-sized rooms I usually play in?

3) Thanks!!
  2. I have the 400 rbiv and also play 2 or three set shows, and i would recommend just leaving it on. Having said that let me say that I never have had mine get hot enough to have the fan come on so leaving it on to let it cool between sets is unnecessary. I prefer to leave it on just so there is less problem with forgetting to turn it back on or "un-mute" it. Because of the type of amp it is, it is not producing any real power when it sits idle (unlike some older "class A" amps do) so it wont be heating up or using much power, and shutting it off and on does make some transient noises sometimes through the PA (if you are hooked up).

Finally, I use mine to power a 350 watt 2-12 cab (4 ohm) and it produces a TON of sound. I generally run all the tones at 12:00 and the input at 12:00 and rarely run the master to 12:00 (and that is without ANY boost on at all). I ran the boost up to 9:00 (ie a 1/4 turn on) and it really adds to the volume and projection. I can only imagine what it would add if I turned it up more ( I'm sure I would have to turn down my volume) I just played a 300 seat auditorium with it a a stage monitor for a loud 7 piece band that has a drummer and a percussionist as well as keys ,electric guitar, sax and electric violin and could easily hold my own.
  3. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    "birdy num num"!! :p

Haha! What a cool name.... I love Peter Sellers! :D
  4. Leave it on. Electronics don't like power cycling.

When a cold electronic component warms it, there is microscopic movement and dimensional change. A radical example of this is taking a coat hanger and bending it back and forth. This simulates movement when cycling between cold and operating temperatures.

Eventually it breaks.
  5. Birdy num num

Birdy num num

Feb 21, 2005
    And I appreciate the feedback...

Cetera, thanks for the Peter Sellers comment. That movie had me pissing in the aisles (yes, I saw it when I was 12 in the theater), and if there were a section here for "Most underrated movies of all time," "The Party" would get a few dozen mentions.

Play on!