1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick MIDI question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by M0ses, Nov 10, 2010.

1. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Hopefully this is an appropriate place to post. Anyway, I'm getting a-hold of a set of bass-pedal MIDI controllers (ala Tarus without the price tag). However I'm very new to MIDI and was wondering: can you control a synth with two controllers at once (pedals and a keyboard)? Or, can you use pedals to control a synth with a keyboard (for example the MicroKorg) and use the keyboard simultaneously?

I still haven't decided on the best option for synth yet, so I'm looking for suggestions. I have a budget of about $200, not including the pedals. I'm looking at a Red Sound Dark Star on Ebay that looks like it might be within my budget, but I'd really like the dual-functionality of both pedals and a keyboard.

2. A synth with a keyboard will respond to both the signal coming in via the midi-in port and to keys pressed on the keyboard.

For example I a roland xp synth - nothing fancy - your basic 16 track gm synth. I could have my computer telling it to play a drum track via midi cable while I play piano sounds via the keys .

3. 30.87hertz

30.87hertz

Nov 12, 2009
    and if you wanted pedals and another keyboard going into another synth module then assign them to separate midi channels and use the through put midi and chain them together.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I thought the MIDI-through just put out the MIDI-In, unaffected?

Also, if you're running the two controllers on different channels into the same synth, can it make two different sounds at once? I'm not opposed to either analogue or digital synth, but I do like lots of versatility and customizability. Ideally it could do both sweet Taurus-like synth, some electric piano sounds, and organ.

5. I don't have a degree in this, but my understanding of it is thus:

MIDI Thru is as you describe, passing only the signal fed into the MIDI In of the device in question. However some devices do allow you to merge the MIDI In signal with MIDI data generated by the device itself.

My foot pedals (Roland PK5a) have a "soft thru" function; notes or other data sent IN are combined with the notes and data the pedals themselves generate, and sent out via the MIDI Out. Also have an EMU XL-7, which can be configured in its MIDI settings menu to merge "Thru" and "Out" data, sending everything through the MIDI Out.

Just about any synth capable of MIDI should be capable of playing more than one sound at a time. Set the 2 input devices to different channels, assign your 2 sounds to those channels. It's a good idea to check out the manual online of anything you're considering buying, to be sure it can do what you want ans that it doesn't sound too hard to set up the way you want.

I like analog synths for ..well, analog synth sounds. I haven't found a convincing piano or organ on an analog synth, but then the modern digital synths' imitations of analog synth sounds leave me a bit underwhelmed.