1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick n Dirty Question on Fuzz / OD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Toastfuzz, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So I'd LIKE to think I know a bit about fuzzes and OD's after spending so much time on here. This isn't asking a nooby question, more asking opinions. Feel free to throw out a suggestion and explanation, if you're offended at yet another fuzz thread, just move along.

So I think I had (and lost) my dream tone, it was the combination of a fairly wet black Russian Big Muff running into a VT Bass, where the VT boosted some lows and the character around Noon, just taking the edge off the Muff and "rounding out" the tone. This was going to be my "wet" signal until I realized that everything I usually play clean sounded so much cooler this way, and didn't get in the way of guitars or vocals.

So for SOME reason (TB-induced GAS?) I sold off the Black Russian and picked up an Iron Ether Oxide. Very sweet and multi-functional pedal, but Fuzz just isnt my bag apparently. This being my 3rd dedicated fuzz pedal that I couldn't find to be useable, I'm writing off "fuzz" for awhile and sticking to the OD/distortion I know and love.

So I'm stashin the Oxide for a rainy day, and looking for another dirt pedal to pump into the VT. I'll never get rid of my Ibanez PD-7 OD, but I don't want to use that cuz its got a bit of a noise problem (and picks up classical music radio stations...) I think the Muffy sound is the way to go, and might search for a Green Russian to replace my old Black.

Really what I want (and you may say "just get another Muff stupid!!") is a dirt pedal with fast attack and consistent decay. The Oxide has (to me) and unpredictable attack and decay, and struggles with quick fingerwork. Quick runs thru any "fuzz" I've had lose the attack of the note, and don't have that distinct "chug chug chug" that I'm looking for (more like "chug-uh-uh-uh-uh", runs together too much.)

I guess to define the tone I'm looking for, RHCP - Suck My Kiss is a good example, if not a bit furrier than Flea's tone.

I'm thinking of starting the search for a Green Russian Muff, from what I've read its pretty much the black one but "better" for some unknown tonal reason. Supercollider and SFT have always stuck out in my mind, but may be too "doomy" for my tastes and not have the strong attack, but thats just speculation. The goal here is for people to see our classic rock cover band and say "they were like most classic rock bands, but they had a really hot chick singing and the songs sounded more badass for some reason", that reason being epic bass tone. I forgot to mention that, the grindy bass is a great compliment to her voice, such as Alice in Chains where she can't sing as gritty but the song sounds gritty nonetheless (thanks to me)

2. In my cover band we play Alice in chains and i use a Polish hate for Would. Before that I used a modded digitech bad monkey with ggood results. I could cop the rage against the machine tone with it into my vt in a heartbeat, but then again my vt is my always on pre and having it at different settings then you will change the outcome

3. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Same here, I keep the VT on all the time as a pre, and any pedals (except delay) are running into it rather than after it. Forgot about the Digitech, will keep that one in mind as I've heard it suggested before.

4. Just remember with it if you want it to have deep lows to either mod it yourself (easy) or get one already modded.

5. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    A Fender Sublime or a Way Huge Pork Loin are two pedals that I think could get that Suck My Kiss tone.

-JV

6. Ive wanted to try one of those big green monsters. Gets great reviews.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    My thoughts (take them for what they're worth ;) )

1. You're right that fuzz isn't what you want. The nature of the clipping is going to compress your signal and "blur" the notes. It does sound like you want an OD.

2. The "Suck My Kiss" tone is a Wal into a GK. Fat humbucking tone with some real beef in the low end and a crisp sounding amp and a lot of the aggressiveness coming from a heavy right hand attack. Not an easy tone to cop with pedals. A Microtubes B3K with the gain all the way down and the blend at 2/3rds wet signal will give that punchy top end but a lot of this tone is coming from the bass. A dual MM bass (EBMM, G&L) can get you in the ballpark. GK is fairly different from Ampeg, but set flat (EQ flat, not pedal controls flat) with little gain the VT bass could help.

3. Mike Starr's tone on "Would?" is in large part from the pick and the drop tuning. I'd try dropping everything a half or whole step and you'll get a grittier, darker tone.

I always recommend the Microtubes B3K but it IS expensive and has a fair amount of coloring. If you're just looking for something to add some grit without changing your tone or cutting low end, I'd check out a Barber LTD SR.

Hope that helps.

8. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I know exactly what you mean, almost like you play too fast for it? I had the same problem with my bass big muff for some reason =/

I like a crisp and edgy distortion...defying all my predictions, my Boss DS-1 into my VT bass is a killer distortion sound. It might be too thin for your tastes, but I can beef it up and get plenty of cut while sounding like a chainsaw and truck engine making love. If you ever get bored, post some clips when you get your muff. I wish there was a thread dedicated to pedals with and without a VT bass after them.

9. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    i wish there was a thread about that aswell. i would start one, but ive asked the question about ______ pedal before VT about 3 times and got little to no repsonse.

almost every dirt pedal i have sounds remarkably better thru the VT, only exception being Swollen Pickle, which does the job all on its own.

10. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ironically the Oxide is the first pedal that I can't get to sound good before the VT, its just too hot. I can't turn down the Oxide enough to not make the change from clean to dirty EXCRUCIATINGLY LOUD!!!!

I always planned on doing videos like that once I get my "home studio" set up goin. Last night I was wiping the hard-drives, went to sleep while the drives were formatting (2 1-TB drives) and plan to install Windows and my software today, so might be shortly after Xmas. I always wanted to see YouTube reviews that showed pedals mixed. Everyone has those "perfect combos" and not enough people show them off. So a review vid that did a short overview of each pedal played solo, but primarily focused on mixing them and tweaking settings while mixed. Obviously, only record and post the ones worth posting.

Reviews I plan on doing:
    MXR Bass Octave Deluxe + Iron Ether Oxide + Dunlop Wah + Boss Delay
    Ibanez PD7 OD + Big Muff + VT Bass + Boss Delay
    DOD FX25 lowpass filter + Ibanez PD7 + Dunlop Wah

etc. etc.

However, i dont know if thats even necessary, cuz when I see a pedal that sounds good solo, I usually just assume it'll sound better thru the VT