1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick Ohm Question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rymsk19, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Rymsk19

Rymsk19

Jan 26, 2011
    Hey all, quick question, My Carvin Pro Bass 300 says 2 ohm minimum. Im not sure about the whole ohms thing so I was wondering, will it work with a 4 ohm cab or an 8 ohm cab? It has the 2 speaker outputs on the back. Sorry for such a newbie question. Thanks in advance guys!
    :help::help:

2. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    The minimum just says its lowest amount of eminence. The lower the ohm number the less resistance. So 4 or 8 ohms won't hurt anything. I'd go with 4 because it's closer to the max

3. Yes it will work with the 8 ohm cab, the 8 ohm cab with the 4 ohm cab, the 4 ohm cab, two 4 ohm cabs or four 8 ohm cabs. :)

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'd go with 8 for the added flexibility, and also due to the fax that "getting all the watts out!!!" doesn't really buy you anything.

5. That's impedance ;)

6. Rymsk19

Rymsk19

Jan 26, 2011
    Well, I play currently in a Metal band, playing tunes such as Deep Purple, Ozzy, and those sorts, I want to get a 4x10 cab, 8ohms or 4 Ohms, which would be better, I will somewhat need good volume and the head is 300 watts I believe.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Personally I'd get the 8 ohm cab. Your current head will do two ohm, but your next head might not. If you get the 4 ohm cab, and later change to a head that has a min of 4 ohm load, then you're stuck with that one cab. But, if you get an 8 ohm cab now, down the line you wont potentially be in as bad of a spot. There's no real volume difference between the 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab - you might get double the wattage from the head, but that doesn't translate to much volume.

8. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    8 ohm for expandability. Unless if you're planning to run a tube head that only runs at 2/4 ohms like the SVT. I wouldn't worry in your case.

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Get an 8Ω 4x10. That's because eventually you're going to need another cabinet to get more volume. The difference between running most SS amps at 4Ω and 8Ω isn't much difference in audible sound levels, even though it almost doubles the power. The only thing I found about a ProBass 300 is from 1982. It says the amp is rated at 300 WRMS @ 2Ω amd 175 WRMS @ 4Ω. Either way that's not going to be enough power for playing with any kind of metal oriented band.

The key to more volume is moving more air, and that's done much more simply, less expensively, and more efficiently with more speakers instead of more power. So, you're eventually going to need at least two 4x10 cabinets. And even with a pair of 4Ω 4x10 cabinets you're still only able to have 300 WRMS which likely won't give you the headroom you're going to want. So, you'll be looking at a new amplifier at some point too. And if that amp isn't capable of running safely below 4Ω, your cabinets will also need to be replaced.

Take it from someone who made this exact mistake, and that was after being in the biz (and being a bit of a gearhead too!) for 20 years. More speaker is better than more power, 'though in your case I'm going to suggest you're going to need both.

John

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yes - get the 8, and later you can get another 8. It is an easy misconception to equate power with volume, but it ain't so.

It takes TEN TIMES the wattage to create DOUBLE the acoustic volume.

Much better to have twice the speakers when you need to get louder.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    All assuming that OP doesn't have ample PA support ;). I play in a metal band, and have exactly zero speakers :D

12. Yeah somehow I think the guy asking whether his 2 ohm capable cabinet can handle a 4 or 8 ohm cabinet is not in a band where he has the PA support to play metal with no cabinets at all... just going out on a limb there...

13. Rymsk19

Rymsk19

Jan 26, 2011
    Wellm The Head came in a combo type package atop a 1x15 cab, But the Head is removable from the setup, So if I ran one of the outputs to that 1x15 and the a 8ohm 4x10, It should be moving more air therefor decently louder, Im sorry, im new to the whole "gig" setup deal.

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you already own an amp and a 15" cab, you want another matching 1x15 to add to it. Matched cabs are guaranteed to work well together, where a 410 with a 15 is only guaranteed to disapoint. Read up on this, there are a gazillion threads on the topic.

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Ohmage! For example:

Bassist: Nice cab...what's the impedance?

Newbie: Errr....I'm looking on the back but I don't see anything like that...just a bunch of funny numbers, symbols, and input jacks.

Bassist: Okay, what's the ohmage?

Newbie: Oh, why didn't you say so?!? It's 8 ohms.

Riis

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    OP, you'll want another Carvin 15 to stack with what you have now, same model speaker, cab, everything. Then go about the process of disabling the bottom 2 speakers on every one of your guitarists 412 cabs.....then your band might sound good.:D

17. Rymsk19

Rymsk19

Jan 26, 2011
    Haha its weird because my Guitarist is running a Carvin 100b tube head running through a matching carvin cab and all and just the head with one input running into the 15 stands up to his rig, and he has it about half way up.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Probably has it set in 1/2 or 1/4 power mode and doesn't know it.

sssshh....don't tell him....:D

19. Rymsk19

Rymsk19

Jan 26, 2011
    Haha maybe, I know he has both outputs of the head into his cab, Idk this Pro Bass 300 puts out the power, But if I got another 1x15 it would make me abit louder? lol.