Quick Ohm's/Wattage question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.Nimrod, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Mr.Nimrod

Jul 23, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    hey guys-

this may be a stupid question, but I was wondering...
    if i run my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro ( "450" watts at 4ohm and 275 at 8) into one 4ohm 210 cab, would it be the same volume as running it through 2 8ohm 210's?

also, does anyone know a website or someplace where I can read about wattage/ohm's/cabs??

thanks a lot!
  2. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    This would depend on if you hook up the two 8ohms together in series or in parellel. In series, impedance is additive so you'd be looking at 16ohms.

In parellel, impedance sources are inversely additive. The total will never be greater than the lowest individual component. In this case, two 8 ohm cabs in parellel would be 4 ohms. As for the same volume, that may be affected by the speaker quality and cab design.
  3. You can't wire two cabs in series without comitting unnatural acts. There's just no way to do it unless you fabricate some kind of screwy wiring harness. So for all intents and purposes, I don't think we have to worry about somebody accidentally wiring their cabs in series.
  4. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    "Screwy" and "accidental" for some, perhaps. After so many years of putting my electrical enginneering degree to practical use, I tend to forget that the scope of possibilities is much narrower for regular folk. :)