1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick-Pick:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Okay, no thinking allowed! Which is the better cab, and the one you'd rather have:

Peavey 1820
    Peavey 412 tXF

Time's up!

2. I have an 1820 in on consignment. It belongs to my bass player, who is currently having me build him an O15.

The sound is good, but the weight is an issue. This is quite the heavy cab. His motivation to off the 1820 is the weight.

I have not yet measured the response. It performs well with a four string J-bass and tube head.

For bass use, the 4x12 Peavey almost certainly is acoustically too small. 12s need room to breath. I would expect the 412 to be loud, with no bottom.

3. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    The 412 is actually quite bottom-heavy. It seems to have a lot of girth sound-wise, as well as weight-wise- 130lbs! It's very wide- my 300T sits on it with shoulder-room to spare, but hey, they're 12's, 2 rows of 2 mounted "side-by-each".

Together the 300T and the 412 TXF weight around 210 lbs. But I've been using it for good-sized reggae gigs, and it's just about pretty darn good there.

But, you're hip to my thing with the Omni, and I do want a more portable situation. I'm getting rid of the Sunn and everything else until the Omni is done and has another head to power it. I'm looking for a cheep rig to hold me over while I make the slow switch.

4. I'm not a fan of any square 4x box, including the 12s. They are just more of a Bad Thing. I have access to one of the Fender 4x12 inverted pyramid cabs. Merde. Four 12s would be much better done in a stack.

The 1820 has two horizontally aligned tens. More merde because they produce a wide pattern in the vertical direction. This is great if you are playing for ants and bats, but anybody horizontally off-axis a bit isn't going to hear much in the highs.

The 1820 appears to sell for $150 to $200 used. For that money, I'd pass entirely and find something else used that will preserve your investement while you build the O15. The Avatar Neo 4x10 is a dub-friendly box, and can probably be found used at a reasonable price. Their value only drops so far.. look for 50~66% of new price.

5. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I find that used price thing with all the Avatar stuff, but it starts off very affordable anyway. Thanks for the tippage.

I've got an Avatar 210 that I can use for small gigs with the Superfly, and after reading the "Vertical Stacking" thread I'll try standing it on end.

I'd like to make as few moves as possible and keep the 210, so I though maybe adding another 4 ohm 210 or 212 might be practical- even an old Peavey 15 cab with a spare BW 4 ohm basket I have lying around. Then I'd be pretty modular, and the single 210'd be great for the extremely small space I had to play in two weeks ago! Don't know that it's as dub-friendly though. I'm just spending a lot of time on this gear thing and it makes me tired... must... finish up...

6. Chronic GAS will tire you out.

Once you figure out your school (colored, non-colored), you can build a modular rig from there. Just add more of the same.

One of the posters here has a dual Omni15 lowboy arrangement. He mirrored the tweeters and mid-horn so when they stack, they are the desireable MTM arrangement. He says it makes a ferocious amount of noise, and is still a 4-ohm load.

Dual O15LB would be my personal choice for a stack. Wide enough for the largest heads or racks, short enough for a twin stack. Loud enough to hurt people... the best of all worlds.

7. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Don't know if I need to make that much noise! 2 of 'em... I'm thinking a solo Omni will cover me for about anything. I'm working it all out at any rate.

Colored, un-colored... I saw a band in Miami (Charlie Pickett and the MC3), and the bass player had an SWR Bassic 350 Red-Face into a Goliath-II cab, and he was playing an old Fender Precision. Took my head right off my shoulders with the sound. It was clear, warm, and had impact- it was like being hit by a big, warm, friendly tractor at about 60 mph.

That's what I'd like to be able to sound like.