1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick piece of advice please!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FishDub, May 20, 2012.

1. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Ok, I have a Yamaha BB605 arriving in 3 days! Can you all recommend a set of strings? It is a 34 inch scale, but the low b is highly important for my Latin/Merengue songs, and would like a recommendation on a VERY tight and focused low B if possible, prefer somewhat bright too. Thanks so much!

2. Circle K's get my vote.

3. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks, never heard of em but its worth a shot!

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Heavy gauged B string in stainless steel or at least nickel plated steel.

5. I have an RBX 6 and have owned a TRB 6. Both of them sounded great with D'Addario XL's. I currently have a set of Ken Smith burners on the RBX and they sound good. Fodera strings were also nice, but at the time I thought they had too high of a tension for what was available. If you got them a step lighter than normal mediums they would be nice.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Most articulate, extended bass strings Ive used are DR neons. They put most other strings to shame for low bass qaulity. Dean Markley blue steel have a similiar extended low bass content but its more thundery whereas the neons is more uhh, refined hifi sounding. Both have very good mids thru highs as well. If your bass has even a hint of mud to its neck pup Id reccomend the dr neons over the blue steels for better articulation.

Adjusting your basses pups for best sound will also help get better sounding low B. You may need to favor the bridge pup a little as in move blend a little toward bridge pup rather then flat/even.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I tried a tapered B string and did not like it.
    Too floppy when you dig in.
    I use medium gauge GHS boomers and pluck quite hard.

10. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for all of the hints!