1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quick poll: String material for your round wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Stainless Steel

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. Nickel

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Stainless with nickel plating

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    As I am leaning toward making a wholesale change in what I use on my basses, I thought I'd run up my first poll to see what y'all like...

So vote and let me know!

thx

2. Nickel. I just cant getu used to that harsh Stainless feel and sound. They also sound too much scooped in mids to me. I only dig ST in flats! Im a Chromes hardcore fan! BTW, my preferred Nickels rounds are DR Sunbeams

3. Stainless Steels for my fretted basses (gotta have that "chime"! :smug: ) and Coated or Non-Coated Nickels for my fretlesses, depending on the bass.

4. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    My vote is for nickel plated steel. DR Sunbeams for me. I find them to be a very versatile string. I like D'addario XL's too. Steve

5. Buster666

Buster666

Nov 29, 2008
    It seems apodictic to this writer, that there are two kinds out there, pop-and-slap players that like the sttainless steel strings, and finger-style players that prefer the nickel strings.

DR sunbeams, which I am using right now, are not easy to explain. The difference seems to me in the way the harmonics come out of the midrange, defining the timbre of the string. A crude analogy would be that they differ from other nickel strings as a jazz bass difers from a precision, or that a German Stienway differs from a Yamaha Grand.

The other nickel strings harmonic souund seem to come from the outside surface of the nickel plating, where as the sunbeams glow sounds like it is coming from deep within the string it self. Think Bartolini vs EMG. Or Sadowski vs Fender MM custom shop crap. Don't get me started on the MM fiasco. Fender will sell you, for darn near the price of a real Sadowsy, a bass with perhaps the ugliest pickguard ever designed, and as an added bonus, active electronics that apparently are not even grounded, whick makes the shielding act as an antenna, picking up AM radio stations!

[​IMG]

Sadowski_ColseUp_BodyFront_InCase.