Quick power handling + power amp question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by My bass in your, Jun 24, 2004.

1. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    I think I found the cab that I'm looking for. That would be the SWR Henry the 8x8".

For Metal, I know I should get a 8x10", but I don't think I can transport that. 2 separate cabs will do, but I think the 8x8 will forfill my needs perfectly. It's punchy and the whole deal is a standalone cab that's a bit heavier then a big 4x10". Allthough...

After I sold my stuff I'll have enough money for a new amp. That probably will be:
    Behringer Composer PRO-XL MDX2600
    Ampeg SVP CL pre amp
    Power amp. Maybe QSC, Crown, Yamaha... Something with the specs:
    * about 1000 watts bridged to 4 ohm
    * 15 kilograms (33 lbs) max.
    * Speakon outs
    * 2 units

I'm only a bit worried about the power handling. I'll be pushing the Henry (480 watts RMS) with a 1000 Watt amp. I think/hope I don't have to turn the amp fully up since the punchiness and the range will help me out.

Will it do any damage on the cab?
    And if I DO turn it up?

Any tip for the amp?
    I live in Europe so the US stuff is a bit expensive here. I want to spend 700 Euros = 850 Dollars max. I can't buy a QSC PLX1202 for that money. :(

(BTW: how about the idea of the rig in general? :cool: )
  2. i was going to suggest the peavey PV 900 or PV 1500 amps, but i guess they're not rated for bridge into 4 Ohms. their model numbers imply that they do, though. they probably could power a 4 Ohm load bridged (they are rated for 2 Ohms single channel, after all), but you're operating at your own risk if they're not rated.

3. jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of that Henry 8X8, but I recently had a SWR Workingman's 8X10, and I could fit that in the backseat of my '98 Jetta.
  4. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Yeah, I almost bought a PV 1500 a few weeks ago. Luckily I didn't do it, and did some research on it at home. And it seems like Peavey won't support the product if it's used 4 ohm bridged. It's a digrace that 4 salesmen in 2 diffrent shops don't know this info. :scowl:

Sorry meekster... :D :bassist:

More opinions ideas?
  5. You might want to look into Carvin amps. (Carvin Power amps really are their best product. Rock solid stuff) The DCM Series are really good. The DCM1000 is about 25 lbs, and does 1,000 watts into 4 ohms bridged for $360.00 - not sure what that is in Euros. But I suppose you have to factor in International shipping and duties, and their website says to expect a 50%-180% increase for that alone.
  6. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Made up my mind about Henry.

Now it's time for looking at a matching power amp.
    I'll be rocking it through a Ampeg SVP CL pre.

I've read a lot about power amps here. I see you all like QSC. Well, they are very expensive here. Maybe I can get a second hand one. PLX1202?

I could use some recomendations on brands that are afforable in Europe, but I really wonder what amount of power I must think of. I'll be playing with the 8x8" as a stand alone with a loud drummer (kick drum amplified) and 2 guitarists with 120 watt tube half-stacks. Henry takes 480 watt RMS, so I need to be loud, but try not to blow up the cab. And the Ampeg pre doesn't have a really hot output, for what I've been told.

What do you think?

(Mo'Phat, Carvin is very hard to get here, and way overpriced.)
  7. I sort of figured that once I saw your location. I benefit from having the Carvin factory about 10 minutes from my home.

Yes, the QSC power amps are well regarded around here. I got a used PLX 3402 a few months ago and couldn't be happier. All the Plx's are 23 lbs, which is nice if you're putting it in a rack that you have to carry around. The Rmx series are more 'work horses', and weigh a few pounds more.

Crest power amps get a lot of respect around here as well. You can't go wrong with either.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as long as you're careful you should be able to power the henry with a 1000 watt amp
    a little experimentation and you should be able to find out the point where the cabinet starts to become overdriven and back off accordingly
  9. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Thank you very much for your information.

You too, IvanMike! *thumbs up*

Okay, I did some research and I found that the Crest CA-6 is available the Dutch second hand market. Price isn't too bad either. Thanks a lot! :hyper:
    I'll need to be extra carefull withthis one. 1200 Watts??
  10. thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    I currently own an SM-500 that goes into a SWR BigFoot 2x12 rated at 500W, so it's a perfect match on the power to cab rating. From what I've read on SWR's site, that is a good thing and you definitely don't want to under power cabs by a wide margin.

What about slightly over powering? I'm considering the 480W rated Henry 8x8. The SWR site even recommends this as a cab for the SM-500.

So given the earlier post about 1000W going into the Henry, I'm assuming that I would be in an optimal situation by merely overpowering by 20W, right?

Forgive my ignorance on power handling.
  11. If the 8x8 is rated at 480W rms, 1000 W is about right for it. 1200w isn't that much more, it would be fine too. Provided you don't like distorted sounds. You have to be able to hear distortion to know when to back off if you plan on having more power available for clean headroom in transients than the cab can handle steady state.

You can drive a yugo well over the speed limit, and drive a Lambo at 15 mph. Its not how much power you have, it's how much power you use, i.e. how loud you play.

12. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    There's no such thing as too much power, only power used unwisely.