1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Quick Q about treble boost/cut

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by poopybasshands, Aug 29, 2007.

1. poopybasshands

poopybasshands

Aug 29, 2007
    Ok, this may be a stupid question, but i recently bought my first electric bass (had been playing acoustic), and am worried that the treble boost/cut on the 3-band EQ is not working. While turning the knob, an odd swishing sort of noise comes from the amp, and when the bass and mid are cut, there doesnt seem to be any difference in tone or volume at all when i boost the treble from 0 to full, even when i turn the treble up on the amp. The tone seems to get slightly brighter, but it is very hard to tell for sure. I am also playing on a crappy old practice amp, which i suppose could be the problem. Is it normal for treble boost to do so little in terms of altering the overall tone? Could it be the amp? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. poopybasshands

poopybasshands

Aug 29, 2007
    bump

3. poopybasshands

poopybasshands

Aug 29, 2007
    bump, plz help.

4. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    It's not a stupid question at all, and it sounds like you've already diagnosed some of the problem. I can't be positive, but I believe that your treble controls on both your bass and your amp are probably working fine. The fact that you said that you don't hear much difference even when using the amp's treble control is good evidence that your 3-band's treble is probably OK. The swishing noise you hear is the inherent electronic noise being amplified when you turn the control up - further evidence that it's probably working OK. You mentioned the "crappy practice amp," and I think this is a big part of the problem as without a tweeter in your amp you won't hear nearly as much difference when moving the treble control.

Consider also that you have to also actually play the bass in such a way that brings out more of the treble frequencies from your bass, such as "slap" or playing with a pick. There is not nearly as much treble content in the sound to begin with when using standard finger plucking. These other techniques when using round-wound strings may not yet be familiar to you since you've come from an acoustic background. Sorry if I'm wrong about that, but I hope this helps.

5. poopybasshands

poopybasshands

Aug 29, 2007
    thanks a lot! I do notice a bit more difference when slapping and popping the strings. though still not a great one. Also, the swishing noise is the same, whether i am cutting the treb to 0 or boosting it-it doesnt seem to get louder. even touching the knob will create the noise, do you think it could be a ground problem? Otherwise, the bass is working fine and plays great (it's an LTD d-4, btw), i guess i am just nitpicking, but you know how it is when you get a new instrument, everything has to be perfect! thanks again!

6. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    OK, I think see what you mean (hear), especially because you can get the swishing sound by just touching the treble's knob. It sounds like it may be either simply a bad pot, OR (not so simply) a problem with the EQ itself. IF the problem is with the active 3-band EQ itself, it may be that an unacceptable amount of DC (from the 9V battery) is leaking into that part of the circuit.

Again, I cannot say with certainty that either of these two things are the problem, but it's definitely where I would look first. If the problem is simply a bad pot, that's usually a relatively easy and inexpensive thing to replace.